Chapter 6

Pitch Black’s breathe smelt like hot coal and it sizzled in the air with the same intensity. He sharp nails dug into my arm almost as if he was a bear attacking his prey. He was nimble and supple with his movements. His eyes had met mine and I wasn’t able to look away from his alluring gaze. Inside, as a reflection of some sort I saw a ship, sailing in dark waters. The dark waters of his eyes, were rough and uncontrollable. Suddenly a wave sailed high into the sky, with a swift crack of lighting that burst through the sky, then it tumbled down onto the ship. The ship was pushed against the waves onto its side. Once the ship became in that position it was never able to return back to normal. I struggled against Pitch’s grip with horror cast in my life. My parents were in that ship. That was how my parents died. It was one of my nightmares.

“Mum! Dad! No!” I screamed toward the reflection. I wanted to run from his group, far away. Into my bedroom, to hide under the covers and forget what I had just seen. But there was still more. More large waves lulled over the sinking ship. Crashing down and smashing the wood into pieces. Where were my parents when it happened? The ship had been fully submerged, yet it was still taking damage with the waves smashing down. My parents would be dead by now. Drowned? Or maybe thrown against something that would have a killing blow? It didn’t matter how exactly they passed. Pitch’s eyes returned to its cat yellow form. The grin on his face, his knows pulled with his lips into a snicker made me feel sick for me to look at him. But I still didn’t turn my head. His teeth were white and tinted black between every crack. His other hand touched my head and it slowly drifted down my hair.

“I love it.” He said. By the way he looked he wasn’t referent to my hair. “I missed it.” He said. What was he talking about? “I never want to leave.”

“Well you’re going to have to.” I heard a clear voice above me call out. Pitch looked up into the sky and I followed his gaze. Floating in the air, as high up as the sails of the ships was Jack.  Pitch gave a swift laugh. His other hand grabbed onto me and he pulled me close. My back to his chest. His arms around my body.

“But Jack.” He hissed. “It’s so much better here.” Jack lowered to the ground and Pitch pulled me back as he moved back along the dock. “You can see it in her eyes. That’s fear Jack. Real Fear.” Jack dropped to the ground. His eyes flicked to me for only a second and then moved back to Pitch.

“You don’t belong here.” Jack said sternly.

“No Jack. That’s not true.” Pitch corrected him. “I do belong here. I belong everywhere. But you, you took that chance away from me. Out of both of us, you are the one that doesn’t belong here.” Jack paused for a second. His face hadn’t changed, he hadn’t be phased by Pitch’s remark. “You shouldn’t interfere with what I was doing Jack. You’re stuck. I have the upper hand. This is my world Jack. My World is full of fear and hunger, and hate, and pain, and death. Doesn’t it feel good Jack?” He was saying it with a laugh. “My world is full of torture.” Jack shook his head.

“I have dealt with you before Pitch I can do it again.”

“But you don’t have Jaime do you? You don’t have any of his little friends. It’s just you Jack.” Jack smirked. He stretched his arm out that holding his staff.

“And honestly Pitch. That’s all I need to get rid of you.” Jack formed a snowball in his hand. Pitch laughed. His nose fell on my shoulder and he took a long sniff.

“This is my world now Jack. You can’t try and stop me.” The arms that were holding me to Pitch released, and so did his entire figure behind me. I twisted around. He had completely vanished. The docks now seemed more brutally gloomier. I could notice every shadow that was around. The silence of the night was almost now deafening to the ears. This place was creepy. There was a thud on my back. I turned around to Jack, he had thrown the snowball. He laughed. Had he forgotten about what had just happened?

“To be honest I thought you weren’t going to turn up.”

“Where were you?” I asked.

“Oh, I got bored so I went to see if your meeting was still running. Then I noticed the party, so I hung around there for a little while. But I didn’t see you there either, so I looked into your room’s window. But you weren’t there. You had to be either here or the bathroom, right?” I hugged my arms around my body as I slowly breathed. “I don’t think we should talk here anymore. This place seems to be making you-“he didn’t finish. As if the silence was what was needed to finish his sentence. It was needed. I nodded. “Can I have your hand?” he asked. I walked up to him. Then I slowly unfolded my hand from my arm and took his. “Right.” He bent his legs and suddenly he took to the air. My feet left the ground and I squealed. His arm wrapped around his waist. How was he flying? “Settle down. I’ve got you. I won’t let you fall. But-“ he let go of his stick and the power that was making us fly stopped and we started to fall toward the ground. I screamed and Jack laughed. All of a sudden he reached out and grabbed his staff. We stopped falling and just floated in the air. He was laughing.

“Don’t do that.” I screamed.

“What? This?” he let go of the staff again, my hands gripped at his clothes as we fell. He grabbed his staff again. I pulled my hands into a fist, tempted to hit him. But what if he decided to let go of me for being a nuisance?

“Stop please.” I begged.

“Okay.” There were a few more times were I was almost convinced he was going to do it again. Wind pushed against my face, it flung my hair back until it drifted with the wind behind me. Arendelle was quiet from how far up we were. We could see the glowing lights and the dancers and minglers of the party below in the courtyard. We could see the quiet streets of the village, each house and shop tucked up next to each other. Jack passed Arendelle completely as he flew. I looked down upon the landscape. A spring landscape, trees abundant with green leaves and blooming with various amounts of flowers. Animals resting underneath the foliage for the night. I looked toward Jack. What was he looking at? Was he focused on the beauty around us or concerned about what Pitch had said? Maybe his mind didn’t think about such things. Maybe he was thinking about where he could go next? How he could have fun? Ways that would entertain him, even if it didn’t please other people? I regretted what I had said earlier when I told him to stay away from me. He hadn’t done anything wrong. I was just wary that he might hurt Anna. If there was anyone in this world I cared about it was Anna. Jack slowly descended onto grass below. When he let go, I slowly stepped away from him, my hands hugging my sides again. What was he doing? We were on a small cliff, ten meters high probably by the way the ground wasn’t as far as I had seen it before. From here I could see the lights coming from the castle. I could see the light rolling waves of the ocean. I could see the flutter of the leaves from the wind.

“It’s beautiful.” I whispered to myself. I turned to Jack who was still smiling, not at me but at the view, his eyes going over Arendelle. He looked a little tranced. I wanted to ask him what was happening but I didn’t want to interrupt his gaze. He looked so content. His eyes flickered to me, his smile turned into a grin.

“Should I explain some things to you?” he asked. I nodded.

“Please.”