Chapter 5

The meeting had gone for longer than expected, with no more sightings of Jack Frost blundering with snow in the room. I placed several agreement papers in a pile, which I pulled up to my chest and walked out of the room with the other trading representatives. Due to their being trade, Anna by throwing a party every night in the courtyard. I took the papers to one of the staff members who grabbed the papers and walked away to tuck it somewhere save for later looking over and made my way to the courtyard. The courtyard had all been set up in Anna’s standards. Music playing from one corner of the courtyard with musicians smoothly playing on their instruments. There were already village people in the courtyard, none dancing, just talking gleefully. I looked to the sky. It was much past twilight? Would Jack still be at the dock? Would he be waiting? I took a deep breath, what was I talking about. I hadn’t clearly made up my mind if I wanted to see him yet. I watched Olaf walk past me, his little feet moving against the stone ground. He was such a social snowman. He walked into a group, the group squealed in delight and greeted him. There was a hand on shoulder and I turned. Kristoff stood by me.

“Elsa.” He said, he looked over at the growing party. “Don’t let Anna catch you tonight. She has someone you want to meet.”

“Again.” I smiled at my sister’s insistence. Kristoff shrugged.

“You should tell her you are already in a relationship.” He suggested. I shook my head.

“I’m not sure I want my sister sneaking into my personal life.”

“But it’s not like you actually hav-“ he cut short and looked at me. “Are you saying what I think you saying?”

“What do you mean?”

“Is there someone in your life that you are… ya know.” He asked. I shook my head.

“Still single Kristoff. Besides I am good alone.” Kristoff of all people should know what it’s like to be alone and to be isolated. He grew up like that.

“I thought I was good be alone too.” He admitted. “But it’s not good for you. It makes it painful on the inside.” I was distantly looking at the entrance of the castle. Should I go? Was he waiting for me? What did he need to tell me? I took off.

“Elsa?!” Kristoff called out. I quickly turned back to him.

“I’m just going to hide from Anna.” I left Kristoff with a kind smile on his face. One of understanding. I ran out onto the bridge, the lanterns were lit with beautiful light that shone magnificently in the ever growing darkness. I ran past a few people. I had to admit that my shoes weren’t the best to run in and neither was the current dress that I was wearing. I heard a few people exclaim my name as I ran past.

“I hope she’s alright.” One lady said and I gave a small smile.

The docks were not far from the castle at all. I could see them as soon as I had exited the castle. The large ships that slowly bobbed against the lulling tides of the ocean, which was roped to the dock. Many of them belonged to my guests. I stopped by the steps that led to the dock. I took a breath. There wasn’t much light down there, but if anything were to happen I was perfectly capable of looking after myself if any attacks should occur. It took a few steps down and then I touched the old wood of the dock. Wherever Jack was meant to be, he wasn’t here. He must of left ages ago. Once he realised that I wasn’t going to turn up. I sighed. All for nothing. Part of me made a guess that he wasn’t real anyway and this morning had been made up. I had a late night last night. I was tired.

“I thought you weren’t going to turn up.” I heard Jack’s voice and I turned to the side. Jack stood in the dark, his head down.

“I was considering not coming.” I admitted and walked up toward him.

“Something tells me that maybe you shouldn’t have.” Jack said, stepping out of the dark. I gasped. He didn’t look like what he did before. His whole body had been replaced with a dark shadow like wisp. Every feature became embedded with a silver black grain. He blinked. I stepped back, gasping.

“Jack what happened to you?” I asked. Jack took another step forward, his mouth turned into a twisted grin.  

“Why nothing really.” Jack snickered, moving so fast toward me that I had no time to respond. His hand grabbed mine. It tingled like pins and needs against my skin. He leaned in close. “I think what you need to be worried is what is going to happen to you?” What was he talking about? I couldn’t get out of his grip. His lips touched my cheek and a kiss and when he moved back he had morphed into something, someone different. This wasn’t Jack Frost at all. I should have guessed it earlier. The new person that stood in front of me was, tall, he wore a black robe and his skin was pale. His hair spiked and black, the same colour as his lips.

“Who are you?” I scowled. But I felt something. Deep down, I felt something tremble in my gut and squeeze at my heart.

“You can answer that for yourself.”

“You’re my nightmare.” He started to laugh.

“That’s right. I am your nightmare. I’m everyone’s nightmare. I am Pitch Black.”