Chapter 18

I collapsed on the ground, my back pressed up against a tree. I wasn’t cold but I was shaking. How could Ethan say that? How could Jack like me? Little did I realise that the leaves of the tree were wiltering and falling off the tree. I turned, realising that I was killing the tree. I was getting too emotional, I finally uttered words I hadn’t said in some time.

“Conceal don’t feel... conceal don’t feel… conceal don’t feel…conceal don’t feel.” I repeated them over and over again until I started to calm down whether it had taken me a minute or an hour to calm down, I couldn’t tell.

Was Ethan looking for me now? How could I be angry at him? He had no idea.

I shouldn’t have reacted like that though. Ethan would tell Anna? What would she think?

At the thought of that I pulled myself and started to walk toward Arendelle.

It was lunch time by the time I had returned to the gates. I walked straight inside. I could see the horses at the stables, Ethan was back. Where was Jack?

“Dear me, Elsa. You seem to be disappearing an awful lot.” Asserted a maid who raced up to her when I stepped inside the castle. “Where on earth have you been going?” Although she asked rhetorically she looked eager to know the answer. I shyed away from her.

“Where’s Ethan?” I asked.

“Back in his room.” I presume said the maid. I nodded moving along the bottom corridors until I found ascending stairs. I hurried up them to the guest quarters. There was a well set up sitting room, where many princesses, princes and dukes sat and shared small talk with cups of tea.

“What a lovely surprise, Elsa.” A princess waved. Elsa waved back with a slight smile, stepping up to a group or royals that sat happily on the couch.

“Do you know where Ethan went?” I asked.

“Prince Ethan.” A princess raised her eyebrow. “I heard something didn’t go as planned on your little trip. Is everything alright?” she asked. I smiled.

“Yes of course, I just need to see him.” I nodded.

“Right, you need to see him.” She winked and nodded to me. “He’s in his bedroom. I think it’s the fifth down the aisle.”

“Fourth.” A duke said, slowly resting his hand on the princess’s leg. She giggled.

“Right, fourth.”

I nodded to the two and moved down the hallway until I got to the fourth door. I knocked and waited. When was the last time I had knocked on a door and had to wait for someone to open it? When my parents were around?

The door finally swung open, and Ethan was at the door.

“Hay, Elsa, uhm are you alright?” he asked scratching his head in concern. “You seemed to get really upset and you shot off there.”

“I was feeling sick.” I lied.

“You look it.”

“Do I?” my hand went to my face. Ethan laughed and shook his head.

“No. But can you tell me why you really ran like that? Were you embarrassed or something?” I hesitantly smiled.

“Something like that. But I came around to apologise for my ill behaviour.”

“Ill is right. Maybe next time you accompany me somewhere you could at least be gone when we are done eating.”

“I think that I might take your advice.” I smiled.

“Right so then maybe, you would like to accompany me somewhere tomorrow?” he asked. I bit my lip. I didn’t really want to. “Are you going to answer? Don’t leave me hanging?” he smiled pleasantly.

“Yes, of course. It would be my pleasure.”

“On the contrary, the pleasure will and always will be mine.” Ethan stated, bending down, holding my wrist and giving it a quick peck. “There we are, your blushing.” He pointed out. I gave him a fond grin.

“I’ll be going now.” I hurriedly turned around and walked passed the giggling girls, and chuckling prince’s and dukes.

“We’ll see you at dinner.” A few of them called and all I could do was wave back. I headed down the stairs and along the corridors, and then back up the main stairs toward my bedroom. When I finally reached the corridor, I took a sigh as I walked in shut my door and felt myself slip against the wood and take a breath. I opened my eyes and focused myself on Jack who hung upside down on a chandiler.

“It’s been a while.” He announced, dropping from the chandiler and landing in front of me. “You look exhausted. Enjoy your little date.” He giggled like a girl when he said the word date. “Did you kiss Ethan?” he made smooching noises. I shook my head.

“No, Jack.”

“Well aren’t you pleasant on a date.”

“What’s a date?” I asked.

“Oh, ah, it’s like when you take someone out romantically, I guess.” Jack mumbled.

“You talk so weirdly sometimes.”

“Gobbldey goob tweep chard crumb flood.” Jack said, in retaliation. I laughed.

“No you say words I haven’t heard before. And you get all, I don’t know defensive when you explain them.”

“I’m a defensive kind of guy.” Jack grinned.

“You look it.” I joked.

“Are you alright there?” Jack asked, his head moving to the side as he peeped behind me. I looked at the door, it was freezing up with ice. I quickly scooted to the side and nodded.

“Yeah, my nerves are just a bit on edge.”

“A lot on edge. Elsa, I thought you knew how to control your powers.” Jack was looking at the ice that was growing underneath me.

“I-I-I do.” I mumbled. “Love thaws.” I say. Despite me saying it and willing it toward the ice below me nothing happened.

“Love.” Jack chuckled. “That’s cute, that’s really cute.” He held up his hand and laughed some more. “That’s just really adorable.”

“Excuse me Jack.” I said panicked standing up to my feet. “It’s not melting.”

“Calm down.” He placed a hand on my shoulder. “You’re just stressed. Being the queen and all. How about you have a lie down?” he offered. I shook my head. “Why not?” His fingers slipped from my shoulder down to my lower back and I could feel myself tense at his touch.

“I don’t want to have nightmares.”

“Elsa, I’m here. I’ll protect you.” Jack smiled, a genuine big smile. A smile I could trust. “You just need to calm down a little, Elsa. It’s arlight.”