Chapter 3: Old Friend

"Kelsey, will you pass me the light bulb?"

"Dr. G, you do realize that you pay maintenance good money to do things like this."

"Kelsey, I know that. However I'm already here and up on the ladder so you might as well just pass the light bulb."

"I feel like I'm obligated to point out you're wearing heels while on a ladder. Who changes lightbulbs in Louboutins?"

"I do! Who says I can't be handy and impeccably fashionable at the same time."

"Whatever, I tried. Here's the damn light bulb, I have a job to do. You know the job I'm paid to do. Maybe you should do the same." Kelsey said giving me the light bulb and walking off.

"Whatever! I'm multi-talented!" I yelled after her.

"Bye!" She said ignoring my retort.

I went on to change three light bulbs but just as I was done with the fourth, I somehow lost my footing. I closed my eyes and hoped it wouldn't hurt too bad.

This is what I get for trying to be cute. I thought to myself.

Kelsey is never going to let me hear the end of this. I swear that girl thinks she's my Momma.

I hadn't even gotten out of my thoughts long enough to realize that I wasn't met with unpleasant pain. Someone caught me.

"Thank you." I said happily and hugged the person who was carrying me bridal style.

This person just saved me from breaking a limp, a good pair of Louboutins, and from hearing Kelsey's mouth.

"Sure. I can't have the boss lady injured."

"August?"

"Well, it's Dr. Simmons now but I'll give you a pass."

"Oh my gosh, I've missed you." I squealed hugging August.

"Ma'am, we are in a professional environment. This is not appropriate behavior for the work place."

"August, cut the crap and hug me back."

"I missed you too ma." August chuckled hugging me back.

I silently enjoyed the vibrations I felt from his voice and laughter while I hugged him.

"How have you been? What have you been up to?"

"I've been a little of everywhere practicing medicine and volunteering"

"You always use to say you wanted to practice medicine on all seven continents."

"True. But correction it's six continents. They don't let just anyone go to Antarctica."

"Regardless, I'm glad you're doing good."

"Thanks. I had no idea this was your practice. When I knew you, you were Dr. Hart."

"It's been years since someone's called me Dr. Hart. I'm married now."

"Wow, you're married."

"Yeah, I am. It's eight years in a few months. I going to be taking some time off."

"Good for you. Now explain something to me, why is a doctor like yourself wearing heels which are equivalent to mini death traps while standing on a ladder?"

"Don't question me. I sign your pay checks Dr. Simmons. "

"Wow, I've been here only eight minutes and you're already pulling the boss card. Let us not forget I'm the reason you passed biochemistry in med school." August joked.

"Biochemistry was evil. I still can't believe you majored in it for fun in college. "

"I wanted a challenge but sadly it was so easy."

"I forgot you're a genius."

"How could you forget I took you to that Mensa charity dinner during your intern year at Veterans' Hospital. I remember having to drag out the house that weekend." August chuckled.

"Oh yeah and you threw my textbook out the window! Those textbooks were expensive! " I said slapping his arm.

"Hey, I brought you another you though." He laughed grabbing my hand so I'd stop slapping his arm.

My hand felt nice in his hands, they were so warm and soft. I quickly had a flash of an old memory and pulled my hand out of his.

"Well I have to get back to the OR, I have to prep for a c-section. If you need anything, my assistant Kelsey can help. See you around August." I said and hurried off to my office.

When I safely in my office, I let out a sigh of relief. I didn't even realize I was holding my breath. Seeing August was totally unexpected. Seeing him made me feel a type of way.

He looked good. I don't have many male figures in my life that I can honestly say I love and respect.

August is that for me. He was basically my only friend throughout college and med school.

I always kept to myself and told myself I didn't have time for friends nor did I need them. But back then, August some how broke down my ways and implemented himself into my life.

I was graceful for him for many reasons, but most importantly I was graceful for him because he was my first love.