Chapter 1: A Day In My Life

"PUSH ON THE COUNT OF THREE. ONE. TWO. THREE! You're doing a great job Melinda, I see the baby's head." I said with enthusiasm in my voice.

"GET THIS BABY OUT OF ME DR. GREEN!" Melinda screamed as another contraction hit her.

"You're almost done Melinda. Give me three more pushes." I said in a soothing voice remaining calm.

Fifteen Minutes Later

"She's beautiful, you guys." I said to the smily first-time parents.

"Thank you Dr. Green" Melinda smiled faintly. She was extremely tired. She would be asleep soon. Childbirth is extremely exhausting.

We just finished delivering the placenta and I had to stitch Melinda up. She had some vaginal tearing. It isn't uncommon with first-time mothers.

I stepped out of my thoughts and observed the scene in front of me. Melinda's husband Erin was love-struck with the bundle of joy they had yet to name while Melinda drifted off to sleep with a faint smile on her face. I watched as Erin placed a kiss on his baby girl's forehead and Melinda's lips.

I treasured the moment and took it as my cue to leave.

Just as I was about to leave the room Erin said my name "Dr. Green?"

"Yes Erin." I answered with a welcoming smile.

"Thank you for everything." Erin smiled.

I nodded understanding his gratitude and said "No problem."

Melinda and Erin had issues when it came to having a child. They suffered three miscarriages and a couple of false positives. This baby was truly a blessing that they deserved.

"The nurses will be back to run some tests on the baby and Melinda to make sure everything is okay." I informed Erin and left.

I had discarded my delivery attire in the delivery room leaving me in black slacks, a pink blouse, and some black sneakers my husband is endorsing.

I released my hair from its tight bun leaving it in soft waves going past my shoulders. I entered my office and went straight to my in office shower. That's what I love about having a private practice. When I was choosing a facility I was able to renovate the building to my liking.

Meaning I was able to have a full bathroom and closet in my office.

I took a nice hot shower and readied myself for a dinner date with my husband. After taking care of my hygiene and makeup, I picked out a peach dress with cap sleeves that accentuated my curves with nude peek-a-boo pumps that showed my pink nail polish.

As I left my office and made my way to the parking lot, I was showered with compliments from left to right.

I was done being Dr. Green for the day. I was now Mrs. Gabby Green who was looking forward to sharing an evening with her husband.

I stepped into my all black 2014 Mercedes Benz G-Class. My car is like my baby. It is basically a luxury SUV and I love it. I bought it with my own money and it was my prized possession.

That's not to say material objects is everything to me. It's what it symbolizes. Growing up, my family had nothing. It was just my sister, my mother and I. I didn't wear designer brands growing up and I definitely wasn't living anything close to the lifestyle I was living now. And everything I have, I earned it.

Even though my husband is a ball player at the top of his league, I don't need him especially for his money. Everything I have, I can afford for myself.

I was only with my husband because I genuinely loved and cared for him. He means a lot to me.

I was so caught up in my thoughts, I didn't even realize I reached home.