Chapter Seven: What the Heart Wants

I was making a budget plan for the expansions I wanted for my private practice in the next few years. Owning your own private practice is like owning your business and like every smart busy owner I am always looking for ways to take my business to the next level.
As I reviewed the budget, I jotted down ideas of possible projects my business could take on within the next year.

After emailing the budget and my ideas I had to my financial advisor, I went to YouTube and watched a stand up act Kevin Hart did. I actually had tickets to this show but one of my patients went into premature labor and I ended up missing the live show.

While Kevin delivered another punchline, I laughed as someone knocked on my office door.

It was August, I smiled as I greeted him.

"I'm glad to see you smiling again Gab." August said squeezing my hand.

"Thanks August, I appreciate it." I smiled before reclaiming my hand back.

" Did you like the flowers?"

"Those flowers were from you!" I said surprised. I knew they weren't from Tre because when I got home he didn't mention it and Tre usually left a sexy message on the card when he has flowers delivered to my office.

"I noticed you were looking down and I just wanted to make you feel better."

" I appreciate your concern August, I really do but I'm married now and I'm your boss. it's not appropriate for you to be sending me flowers." I said sternly.

" I don't know how you can look me in my eyes and act so indifferent. Are you forgetting at one point in time we were in love and before that we were best friends."

"Aug, please don't do this. I'm not discrediting what we had in the past but that's what it is the past. I can't afford to look back."

" Are you saying you haven't thought about me?"

" Honestly, I still do think about you. You were a big part of my life at one point. Back then, I thought I was going to marry you."

" I did too but then you gave me the ring back. I need to know why. All these years I've drove myself crazy trying to figure out where we went wrong."

" I didn't want to hold you back. You had dreams that I would have gotten in the way of. I loved you too much to ever do that to you. You're not a genius for nothing."

" The crazy thing is none of it mattered because I didn't have you. All the things I've accomplished, all the places I've been to in the world none of it matters because I didn't have you. You weren't there to share or experience it with. I'd give it all back if......."

" August, please." I said turning away.

"Gabby, I'm still love you..." August confessed.

"Aug-" I started.

"Let me finish Gab. I still love you but you're married now. I respect that and I want you to be happy even if it's not with me."

I remained silent after August's confession. The silence was finally broken when his pager rung signaling one of his patients most likely went into labor.

"Look, I have to go. You don't have to say anything but I just want to thank you for listening." August said kissing my forehead before leaving.

I nodded and waited to hear the door close. I let out a breath I didn't even realize I was holding.

I think the crazy thing was a part of me still loved him too. But I would never jeopardize my marriage for my first love. At this point, no matter what August and I had in the past, it's just that the past. I loved August but I'm in love with Tre and that had to mean something.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________