Chapter 16: Fight or Flight

I rolled over in the morning to find myself back in Gabriel's arms. At some point during the night, he had joined me bed, lying on top of the blankets next to me.

          I shook him awake gently, "Gabriel, wake up.” As if it was a knee-jerk reaction, Gabriel's grip tightened around me, forcing the air out of my lungs. "Let me go, Gabriel," I choked out.

          Gabriel finally woke up and released me, "Sorry Donatella, I don't mean to--"

          "It's fine, I'm still alive," I jumped out of bed and nearly sprinted to attached bathroom and closed the door.

          "What are you doing in there?"

          "Talking to Jesus, Gabriel."

          "Sorry."

          I continued my prayer and used the facilities, washing my hands after. I exited the bathroom and ran right into Gabriel. "Um ouch, a little less excitement would be nice," Gabriel quipped, rubbing his forehead and side where we had run into each other. "It might be safer too, your head is hard!"

          "I'm sorry Gabriel," I stood on my tip-toes and kissed the knot forming on Gabriel's forehead.

          "My body hurts too, all over," Gabriel said, pouting his lips out.

          "Ooh, that sucks for you. A hot shower ought to help you out." I speed-walked to the half of the bed Gabriel slept on and dropped to my knees, picking an outfit from the clothes left from last night's makeshift bazaar.

          "You would be worried about clothes right now," Gabriel chuckled. He walked to the dresser in the room and grabbed clothes to wear for the beginning of our trek.

          I saw my opportunity and seized it, sprinting headlong at break-neck speed to the bathroom. I closed the door, locked it and gave my best villainous laugh, "Hahaha, hahaha, hahahahahahaha!!"

          "That's not fair, Donatella, I didn't even have a chance!" Gabriel yelled from outside the door.

          The door to the room opened and a person entered and spoke, "My Lord, is there a problem?"

          "No problems at all, Ronald," Gabriel spoke in what I mentally dubbed his "princely voice".

          "Are you certain, my liege, I heard raised voices," Ronald went on.

          "All is well, do not fear," Gabriel replied.

          "Perhaps I should check--" Ronald began. I quickly jumped in the empty bathtub and prepared to lie flat, if necessary.

          "That will not be needed! Now leave my presence," Gabriel commanded. I could almost picture him waving his arm in a dismissive gesture.

          "Yes, my Lord, I am sorry for the inconvenience," I heard the door open again and footsteps leaving the room.

          "He's gone Donatella," Gabriel said quietly at the bathroom door.

I jumped out of the bathtub and turned the shower head on. I proceed to peel off my dirty, grime-caked clothing and practically jumped into what I hoped would be a refreshing, steaming hot shower.

          After I finished my shower, I wrapped myself in a towel and dressed in the clothes I'd picked earlier. Just as I was pulling my arms through the sleeves of my shirt, the bathroom door busted open and Gabriel barged in. He closed the door behind him.

          "What do you think you're--" I started. Gabriel's hand cut my words off as he pressed it to my mouth.

          He brought his lips close to my ear and whispered quietly, "They're looking for you. Someone let slip that we took off the other day and the guards are furious. They've got the palace on lock-down; no one breathes without them checking to see if they know where you are."

          "What, why? That's so pointless and stupid! How are we gonna get started on our 'adventure' now?" I asked quietly, sinking to the floor, bringing Gabriel with me. He sat behind me and pulled me close to him.

          "I am only on the second floor....and there is a window we could go out of..." Gabriel's voice trailed off toward the end.

          "Then let's go, it's the only way out of here," I stood up and opened the bathroom door.

          Gabriel stood and pulled the door closed again. "Don't you think I've thought of that? The ground security has been fortified; I don't know how we'll get out of here."

          "I do," I wormed out of Gabriel's hold and opened the bathroom door. I stayed low to the ground and looked around the bedroom. Seeing none of the guards, I began to improvise mine and Gabriel's escape.

          My criminal mind kicked on and I quickly stripped the sheets from Gabriel's bed. I started tying the ends together to form a makeshift rope that I hoped would do the job.

          "What are you doing?" Gabriel asked, having sneaked up behind me while I was working on tying the sheets together.

          "Creating a diversion, just be ready to run," I answered. I made the last tie in the sheets and tied an end to the bottom of the bed.

Gabriel threw me the back pack I'd packed the day before and slung the other two bags across his back. "What do I need to do?" he asked, making sure our bags were secure.

          "Open the door, slowly," I crouched down beside the bed and waited for my opportunity.

          The phrase 'fools rush in' came to mind as two beefy security guards cane into Gabriel's room.

          "My liege," one of the guards began. He and his acne-ridden comrade walked slowly into the room with their faces down. I took advantage of their compromised positions and swung my sheet-rope around my head like I'd seen cowboys do. I caught both of the guards in my lasso and pulled it tight. The duo was forced together and secured to the foot of the bed in a tangle of elbow and knees.

          "Are you sure this was a good idea?" Gabriel asked, inching out from behind the door.

          "Not completely. Run!" I replied. Gabriel hitched the two bags up higher and ran down the hall. I followed after him, running as if my life depended on it, which it probably did.