Chapter 13: Three's Company

I followed the guard and the rest of my cellmates outside to the common grounds of the castle. I watched as my cellmates went their own ways to talk and soak up the sun for the day.

"On the wall!" the guard yelled in my ear. When I didn't move fast enough, I was dragged by the rope connected to my foot to the wall.

"Tie her good, she looks like a runner," the older guardsman instructed the younger one.

I hadn't noticed that there were loops all along the wall. The guard picked one and strung the rope through it. "Play nice," he said, walking away to join his comrades.

"Well this is wonderful, how am I supposed to talk to Grandmere now?" I asked myself aloud. I turned to look at the loop I was tied to when I noticed that I wasn't tied to any loop; the guard missed the hole. I seized the opportunity and ran across the yard to the area where I'd seen Grandmere disappear to earlier.

"Grandmere? Are you here?" I walked carefully, keeping to the shadows to avoid being caught by the guards.

"Come child, and quietly!" I heard Grandmere say from the darkness of the crevice. "Please, sit. The secret I'm about to tell you is one that everyone knows, yet no one remembers it."

Grandmere was a confusing woman, she spoke in riddles and circular thoughts that made my head spin.

"There is a secret. It can only be shared among three people. We are two of the three and now we must wait for the third," Grandmere said.

"The third?" I asked. I was genuinely confused.

"Here he is now," Grandmere looked over my shoulder to greet the newcomer.

I turned to see who had arrived and I couldn't have been more emotionally confused.

"You! What are you doing? You throw me to the wolves and for what? I thought you cared Gabriel but I see I was wrong," I spoke with venom and anger in my words. I was so upset; I walked to the entrance of the crevice when Gabriel stopped me.

"Donatella, stop," Gabriel grabbed my shoulders as I tried to push past him. "I know you're mad but, please, you have to hear me out."

"Well talk. Now. You've got 2 minutes before I leave," I stepped back from the door and out of Gabriel's grasp.

"There are reasons I did what I did. I couldn't tell you I was the prince because you needed to come here. Please, forgive me," Gabriel was begging me.

"Come child, I must share a secret that should have never been told," Grandmere spoke, drawing me back to the present and my situation. Gabriel and I walked to Grandmere and sat on the ground before her feet. I made sure to sit as far away from him as possible.

"'There will be a woman born of nobility. She will be a beautiful, statuesque maiden who will change the world with the help of a boy. This boy would be a Demigod, the son of a goddess.' I'm sure you both can figure out who you are," Grandmere said, pausing in her story.

"Please continue Grandmere," I entreated the old woman.

"'The girl would be born on Earth but is destined for higher things. The son of wisdom will be a great help - and also a great hindrance to the girl, however, he is important. The two must embark on a dangerous and trying journey to uncover the truth about each other and their places in the order of things. Their journey starts with the help of Hermes.' Good luck, you'll need it," Grandmere finished speaking and tucked her head.

"Thank you, we will do our best," Gabriel said, approaching the aged woman and kissing her cheek. He exited the crevice to give me a moment alone with Grandmere.

I got up from the ground and turned to watch Gabriel leave. When I turned back around, Grandmere was gone. In her place was a sealed gold envelope with my name on it. I picked the envelope up and opened it. There were two letters inside. I read the first note and my jaw nearly hit the ground, it was from my mother and father, written 2 days before I met Gabriel. The second was harder to understand, it was dated 6 years in the future.