Chapter 1: Just An Ordinary Day [New Chapter]

When I woke up this morning, I knew right away that something was off; it might have been the fact that I was out of my favorite cereal, or that the milk in the refrigerator had curdled and the only grocery store in the area that I lived in was closed because it had been broken into and vandalized the previous night. I realize now, looking back that something wasn’t normal but I chalked it all up to coincidence. I know I must be confusing you; let me start at the beginning….

“Allison wake up, you’re going to be late for school,” my mom said softly in my ear. I was buried under a mountain of blankets, pillows and stuffed animals; it was wonder that she could even find me.

“Mom, five more minutes!” I whined. I definitely was out later than I should have been last night and school just didn’t seem like an option.

“I gave you five more minutes, five minutes ago. Now get up!” I felt Mom’s weight lift off of the bed and heard her footsteps leaving the room, heading to the stairs.

‘Ah, finally I can sleep.’ I thought silently.

“Allison Plummer, if you aren’t up in the next two seconds, I’m coming back in there!” Mom yelled. It didn’t take me too much longer to get out the bed; she said she’d come back and she would. If Mom ever had to make a return trip to my room, it never turned out well.

“How nice of you to grace us with your presence, your highness,” my dad greeted me as I came down the stairs. He sat in a chair at the table sipping a cup of coffee and pouring over the Sports section of the day’s newspaper as if there was some secret message in the letters. I grumbled a greeting a proceeded to walk toward the cabinet to get some breakfast.

“Mom, where’s my cereal?” I asked, a whiney tone crept into my voice. I shifted the other cereal boxes around, thinking mine was in the back but I hadn’t found it.

“If you don’t see it, you must have eaten it all. Grocery store runs are on Fridays so you’ll just have to eat something else,” Mom replied, setting a plate of eggs, bacon and toast in front of my dad.

“Fine. I’ll just eat some corn flakes,” I said, grabbing the box from the cabinet. I poured some into a bowl from another cabinet and went to the refrigerator to retrieve the bottle of milk. The milk was in its proper location, thankfully but when I went to pour some on my cereal, all that came out was chunky, foul smelling lumps, “Mom, the milk is spoiled.”

“Well, pumpkin, it just goes to show that the early bird gets the worm,” my dad answered. “The second bird has to make do with corn flakes and spoiled milk.”

“This is a tragedy, I can’t even eat today because we’re out of everything,” I whined.

“I could fix you some eggs and toast, Alli,” Mom said from the stove where she was cooking eggs for Dad.

“No, its fine, I’ll just stop at the café down the road and grab something,” I replied. “I’m going to get dressed.” I left the kitchen and went back up the stairs, taking them two at a time. Slipping through a miniscule crack in my bedroom door, I walked over to my standard sized closet and contemplated my clothing options.