Chapter 14: Pack It All Up

"Donatella, are you going to stay mad at me this whole trip?" Gabriel asked as we walked down a hallway that led to Gabriel's room.

"Of course not Gabriel, why would I be mad at you? It's not like you got me arrested and chained with prisoners---oh wait, you did," I answered Gabriel bitterly.

"I had reasons, Donatella, I had to."

"Sure you did, sure you did." We had finally reached Gabriel's room door. He reached over and pushed it open.

"Take what you need," Gabriel said, throwing a dark green heavy-duty hiker's backpack to me.

I spun around in awe: Gabriel had covered each inch of his room with merchandise.

"Ignore the price tags, everything's already been paid for," Gabriel said quietly. He took a dark blue backpack off his shoulder that he began to stuff with supplies. "Don't worry about accommodating for food, there's a separate pack for that."

I approached Gabriel's bed and surveyed the options before me. There were jeans, t-shirts, formal gowns, tennis shoes, flip-flops and boots. I remembered the size of my bag and decided it would be best to pack articles that would be beneficial on a long trip.

There were multiple styles and sizes of jeans laid out. I quickly found a pair I liked and went to work finding my size. I found my size, folded them, and proceeded to put the jeans in my backpack. I found my size in shirts and other clothing and folded them neatly into the bag.

"Take a formal," Gabriel said from the other side of the room. He was haphazardly piling clothes into his bag from the dresser and closets. "We might have to sweet up to a couple gods or goddess. I'm taking a suit or two with me."

I obeyed and chose 2 knee length gowns and folded them neatly into my bag. I packed other essentials and pulled the zipper on the bag.

I sat on a cleared corner of the bed and watched Gabriel as he struggled to zip his bag closed.

"Here, let me help," I walked over to Gabriel and took his hand off the zipper. Our eyes connected as a spark passed between our overlapped fingers. I dropped my gaze and commenced to work on zipping Gabriel's bag closed. I didn't have nearly as much trouble as he was appearing to have.

"Thank you," Gabriel said. He laid his hand over mine and gave it a gentle squeeze. I looked at our hands and pulled away quickly. "Donatella, don't be like that." Gabriel grabbed my hand again and pulled me closer to him. We were exceptionally close, if I leaned forward, Gabriel and I would kiss.

"Let me go Santario," I pushed Gabriel away from me.

"Donatella, please, I'm sorry! Hear me out, please."

"Nothing you can say--"

"I had to Donatella, I was forced to put you jail."

"Really, you were forced? That's funny seeing as you're the prince and all, something you failed to mention."

"I know and I'm sorry, I should have told you but I didn't want to you look at me any different."

I saw the sincerity and honesty in Gabriel's eyes. "Who forced you?"

"My mother, Athena."