Chapter 6: Reasons, Realizations and Religion

I woke up the next morning, enveloped in a cloud. I rolled to see that Gabriel had moved from his place of rest to lay behind me with his arms around me.
​            "Gabriel, get up now!" I said loudly, pushing myself from his grasp.
​            "What?" Gabriel's eyes snapped open and his grip tightened around my torso.
​            "Gabe, I can't breathe," I said straining to get air into my lungs.
​Gabriel looked down and released me from his death-grip. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean-"
​            I did not give Gabriel a chance to finish explaining himself. I quickly rose from the ground and went outside and looked at the rising sun as I did every morning. I kneeled again and prayed, thanking God allowing me to sleep peacefully and make it through the night.
​            "Still praying to your God I see?" Gabriel said exiting the temple leaning against a marble pillar.
​            "I am praying to the God, thank you very much," I began to go down the stairs hearing, much to my dismay, Gabriel's footfalls behind me.
​            "Why? Why do you believe in your God? What has He ever done?" Gabriel asked me as we walked down the never-ending stair case.
​            "He has made me and you and everything you see. He sent His Son to die for all the mistakes of the human world, the least I can do is serve Him," I replied continuing down the stairs.
​            "Yeah, but He kills people too," Gabriel said, making his steps even with mine.
​            "No. He doesn't. He calls His children back home so that they can be in a better place."
​            "So when your grandmother died of cancer..."
​            "God called her to a better place. She isn't in any pain anymore; she doesn't have to deal with all the problems of the world. She is in a better place," I said, my voice cracking at the end.
​            "What's wrong Donatella, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you cry," Gabriel said placing an arm around my shoulder.
​            "It just death, it's one of the hardest things for me to deal with," I said turning my face into Gabriel's shoulder, letting the tears flow freely.
​            "It's okay. Everyone has to die at some point in time," Gabriel said softly, holding me closer to him.
​            "Yeah, eventually," I said pressing my body closer to Gabriel's.
            He lifted me from my feet and carried me down the rest of the steps as if I were a baby. I could feel his hands on my body but I didn't protest, I needed comfort and Gabriel seemed to be the perfect source.