The Truck

*I don't own Transformers or anything affiliated with Transformers. I only own my original characters and plots. All rights go to Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg.*

I sighed as I looked at all the textbooks sitting on the table in front of me. Studying for final exams was kicking my ass, but I needed to pass them so I could graduate. Frustrated, I tapped the bottom of my lip with my pencil as I read over a section in my Chemistry book.

"I give up," I mumbled as I closed the books and went back upstairs to my bedroom.

I looked at the clock on my nightstand and noticed that it was 6:07. It was Friday night. My dad and my brother should've been home two hours ago.

Sighing, I walked back downstairs, the loneliness of the house consuming me. I sat down on one of the leather sofas in the family room and just stared at how empty the house was. Usually, we'd all be home eating dinner together while watching TV and laughing at something the other said, but ever since my mom died, my dad's been so caught up with his work and trying to make our family some money, that he doesn't normally come home until late at night during the week, and since my brother graduated high school last year, he's been out trying to find a job of his own all while helping dad with his. And, while normally, my little sister would be here, she's back up in Virginia visiting with her friend Mackenzie for the next two weeks.

Virginia. .the thought of my home state sent a twinge of pain through my chest. We moved to Texas from Virginia last summer after my mom had died and although it's been nearly a year, I'm still having a hard time adjusting to everything. Everything here is just so much different and it was just so much bigger than what I was used to. Coming from a town of only 6,000 and then moving to a city where 6,000 wasn't even half of the population is a huge change.

The weather is different as well. I was so used to hot summers and cold winters and in Texas it was hot practically all the time. Not that I'm complaining, it's just that now I had no use for the hundreds of dollars in winter clothes that I had stored up in my closet. And don't get me wrong, the landscape is beautiful, but it's still so much different than what I'm used to. In Virginia, there are so many beautiful tree covered mountains, streams, and rivers and here there's just a bunch of sand and rocks.

Texas wasn't bad at all. It's just that I missed my old school and my friends. Especially my friend Gracie. We'd been best friends since we were in first grade. We were inseperable and moving away from her and everyone else just made it harder on me. But, thankfully her parents and my dad arranged for her to come stay for a few weeks while Lynleigh was with Mackenzie, so she should be here tomorrow afternoon.

The sound of my stomach grumbling ripped me away from my thoughts. I got up off of the couch and walked over to the fridge in hopes to find something to eat. While rummaging through the freezer, the loud sound of a truck's engine caught my attention. Closing the freezer door, I rushed over to the kitchen window and looked out to see my dad, my brother and my dad's friend Jordan standing in front of a giant wrecker with an old, run-down semi hooked to the back. My eyes widened as I ran outside.

"Dad, what the hell?" I asked, studying the truck.

It was in horrible condition. It was rusted and the paint had almost completely faded away. I could only make out very faint blue and red flame designs on the front and on the sides of the truck. Multiple dents were scattered along the front bumper and there was a huge hole in the truck's radiator as well as what looked to be bullet holes running along the front and sides of the truck.

I shook my head and turned away to look at my dad who was already looking at me. He gave me a look and turned back to watch while the wrecker was backing the truck into his "lab" as he likes to call it.

"This is the third time this week! When are you gonna stop wasting your money on junk, dad?" I asked walking up to him.

Jordan turned to look at me.

"Not his money. .it was mine. Two hundred bucks of it," he said glaring at my dad.

My dad just rolled his eyes.

"You'll get it back, man. I promise," he told Jordan.

"Oh really? When?" he asked my dad.

I interrupted my dad as he was about to answer Jordan's question.

"Never. Wanna know why? Because we're flat broke. Don't get your hopes up, Jo," I told him looking back at my dad.

"I knew it," Jordan grumbled.

I scoffed and glared at my dad.

"Listen, honey. I know that you're upset right now but you shouldn't be. I'm gonna strip it down and see if I can use it for parts. It's gonna make us some money, I promise. You just gotta be patient for a little while," he told me.

I just looked at him and rolled my eyes.

"I've heard that before," I told him and looked towards dad's lab where Jason was carefully unloading the truck off of the wrecker.

I sighed and turned back to look at my dad.

"Rosalie, I know that things are tough right now, but you just gotta be patient. You just gotta trust me, okay?" he explained.

I gave him a slight nod before he turned to go and help Jason with the truck.

"You had better be glad that Lynleigh isn't here right now, because you know she'd have your ass in a knot," I told him.

He chuckled and continued towards Jason and the truck.

"Oh! Don't forget that Gracie will be here tomorrow! Please try not to blow up my best friend. It'd really mean a lot to me," I smiled sweetly at him as he gave me a thumbs up.

I turned and waved to Jason and Jordan before heading back towards the house.

I walked into the family room and plopped down onto the couch. Running my hands over my face in little frustration, I grabbed the TV remote that was laying on the coffee table. I turned the TV on and switched it over to the news channel. There was nothing ever remotely good on TV anymore so the news was pretty much my last resort. I listened as they talked about the alien robot war that destroyed Chicago and killed thousands about five years ago. Footage of Chicago and pictures of dead alien robots flashed across the screen and I stared in boredom. It was the same old thing day after day. It was impossible to turn on the news without something being said about Chicago and something about reporting "suspicious alien activity". I rolled my eyes at the governmental stupidity and paranoia before turning the TV off and drifting off to sleep.

*Please vote and comment. It'd mean so much to me. I wanna know what you guys think.*