Chapter Twenty-One - Scene 1

I gently placed my hand on Arilya's shoulder.  "Let us go see Dr. Damien."  She shook her head and clung to Finley's body.  Her entire body shook.  "Arilya, I think you are in shock, please let me take you to see the doctor."

"Viola will be there.  I cannot, I just cannot..."

"Arilya."

"I cannot leave him.  And I cannot see her – she married him.  I cannot.  I cannot!"

"We will take it one step at a time.  You cannot stay here," I coaxed.

"But Finley..."

"We can do something special for him, to commemorate his life."

"Huh?"

"We can give him a funeral."

"What is a funeral?"

"It is a ceremony."

"No! No ceremonies!"

"I am sorry!  That was a bad choice of words. It only has to be the two of us.  We will bury his body and talk about his life and what we will miss about him."

She finally lifted her head.  "What is bury?"

"When we were humans we would dig a hole in the ground and place the body in it."

Arilya rubbed her red eyes.  "That sounds crazy."

It did sound a little crazy.  "Well, we do not have to bury him.  Maybe we could lay him to rest in one of the vacant caves.  We will seal the entrance so fish no one can get in and disturb the body."

"That sounds a little crazy, too."

"I know, but it might be nice.  It might help you get a little closure."

"I miss him so much.  It has only been a few minutes and I feel like I will not be able to live without him.  How do I live without him?"

"You just do."

"How?"

I shrugged.  "You just do."

****

Arilya eventually allowed me to lead her out of the arena. Then she led me to a small secluded cave, completely hidden away from the rest of the Community.

"This is it.  This is where we... He loved me, Mills.  He did.  He learned how to love."

"I know.  His tail."

"This is where we should have his funeral-thing.  Is this okay?"

"Absolutely.  Wait here, think about what you want to say to honor Finley and I will find some of the hunters to carry his body down."

She smiled meekly.  "Okay."

****

It was the first funeral Ihad been to in over 100 years - maybe 200 years, I do not know - and there were only two in attendance.  Arilya and myself.

Arilya held Finley's hand as she spoke.  "Finley, I loved you so much.  I loved so many things about you: your playful spirit, your bravery.  You could always make me smile, make me laugh. The happiest moments of my life were spent with you.  The absolute happiest was when you told me you loved me.  I wish we could have had forever together.  Do you wish that, too?  I am going to miss you so much.  Your wit, your vivacity.  Your sarcastic comments.  You made everything better.  I did not feel like an outcast around you.  Even before you liked me or loved me, you accepted me when no one else would.  I wish I knew why.  I wish I could talk to you again.  I wish we could hold each other and laugh together.  I wish I could kiss you again, hug you again.  I wish I knew what happened to you.  Is your spirit still alive somewhere?  Can you hear me?  Do you miss me, too?"  She stopped, almost as if waiting for his answer.  When he did not respond, she leaned forward and kissed his cheek.  "I love you, Finley."

She faced me.  "This hurts too much.  I think I have to get out of here."

"Okay, okay."  I pried her hand away from Finley's andescorted her to the exit.  She couldbarely move on her own.  I wanted sobadly to be able to comfort her.  I knewwhat she was going through, I had been there with Samuel, but no words couldmake it right.  Nothing I could say wouldhelp her, so I just supported her.