Chapter Seven - Scene 1

Arilya swam into the cove, full of the lightness Millicent witnessed the first time she saw Arilya at the Maidening Ceremony.  All merpersons glowed: their hair and tails lit up the dark depths of the ocean, but Arilya shined.  Millicent felt envious of her and sorry for her at the same time.

"Do you know why you are here, Arilya?" Millicent asked.  Arilya settled into the cave as if she'd always been there, lounging on the floor and propped against the wall.  She pulled a spool of hair and a pair of needles out of her bag and began knitting.

"Training, right?  Did you used to be a teacher?"

"It is training, but not career training.  You must be aware that the festivals are will be upon us soon."

"Oh."  She dropped her knitting.

"With the festivities comes the Maidening Ceremony."

"Right."

"It is my job to get you ready for the Ceremony and adulthood."

Arilya looked down and mumbled, "I will never be ready for the Ceremony."

"I know it seems horrible, but that is what I am here for.  To talk you through it."

"Is that all it takes to get through it?  Talking?  I think I am going to need something stronger than that."

Millicent laughed, which helped break the tension a bit.  Arilya started laughing, too.  "Look, why don't we start over.  I do not think I introduced myself properly.  I am Elder Millicent.  My friends used to call me Mills, but that was a long time ago."  She did not know why she added the last bit.  No one in the Community had called her Mills; the last person to call her that was long gone.

"It is nice to meet you, Millicent.  I like Mills, though.  Can I call you that?"

"If you wish."

"You do not act like the other elders, Mills."

"How do you mean?"

you are being very nice to me, for one thing."

Millicent laughed again and settled on the ground at the opposite side of the chamber.  "Yes, they are not exactly friendly, are they?"

"Why do you wear that cover on your tail?" Arilya motioned towards the wrap with her knitting needle.

"It is a long story.  It is personal.  I do not want to talk about it."  Though Millicent secretly hoped the day would come when she could talk about it with Arilya.

"Oh."

"Why do not you tell me a little about yourself.  I will be able to train you better if I know the important things about you."

"Important things about me?  I do not think there are any."

"Everyone has important things."

"You will not tell me yours."

"I will, but I cannot tell you about the wrap.  At least not yet."  That slipped out before Millicent could stop herself, but it did the trick.  Arilya seemed to warm to her instantly with the hint of secrecy and sisterhood.

"Mills, if you answer one questions for me, I will tell you anything you want to know."

"That depends on the question."

She tossed her knitting aside and floated over to Millicent's side.  With an earnest face, she grabbed her hand and asked, "You consider preferences in career training – do you consider them in marriage arrangements, too?"

Her grip tightened as she waited for Millicent's answer.  The truth was, no, the Council did not consider preference, but only because there had never been preferences to consider before.  This was exactly why Millicent wanted to mentor Arilya.  If she had asked Elizabeth that question she would have been laughed at for the entire duration of training and any preference she did harbor would be used against her when the Council made its pairings.  Millicent looked down at Arilya's hand clutching hers and   unequal to the task of breaking her spirit.  It had been a long time since she had physical contact with any other being.  She wanted to cradle Arilya and rock her in her arms, the way Millicent's mother once did, long long ago.  But that could not happen.

"Preference in marriage arrangements has never been taken into account, not since the first Ceremonies, a long time ago."

A panic seized Arilya, she dropped Millicent's hand and wrapped her arms together, "But why not!"

"There have never been preferences to consider.  Males and females do not spend much time together outside of their educational sessions before the ceremonies, so no preference has ever developed."

This relieved her somewhat.  She went back to her knitting bag.  "What if someone were to express a preference? Do you think the Council would honor it?"

"I hope so."