Chapter Fifteen

My search for Arilya followed much of the same pattern as her search for Finley had.  I looked into every cave, stopped every passing merperson, and checked any hidden nooks and crannies I could find.  Luckily, I was more successful in my search than she was.

Her parents were not at home; Shaz was preparing for the festival and the many performances it entailed and Dalphen was enjoying a leisurely game of ocean croquette with his fellow hunters.  This close to the festival, all the hunters were within the borders and making the most of their time off work.

The cave was quiet as I approached, I almost did not look inside, thinking it would be the last place Arilya would find comfort, but upon entering, I could hear her swimming about in one of the back chambers, talking to herself.

"If Mills will not help, I will go find him on my own.  I would rather die searching for him than live knowing he is dead."

"Arilya, do not say that!" I burst in on her and she jumped back, startled.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to apologize and to help you.  I am sorry I have not been more supportive, I was worried for you, and for myself, too, I guess."

"For yourself?"

I shrugged.  "Yes.  I guess I wanted to keep you for myself in a way.  You were the first person, in so long, to be able to comprehend what I have been going through.  If Finley could fall in love with you, then you would not need me and I would lose you."

"Oh, Mills, no!"  She swam over and hugged me.  "You have been such a great friend to me.  We will always be friends.  I will always be here for you if you will always be here for me."

"It is a deal."

"You have been more of a mother to me than Shaz.  I wish we could have known each other sooner."

"Me, too.  I would have loved having you as a daughter, even if it was not real.  But the Elders would never have allowed it.  They would have found such a relationship inappropriate."

"I hate them!"

"I am not playing into their hands any longer."

"What do you mean?"

"I left the Council.  I am no longer an Elder.  I told them I did not want to be a part of their dominance over the Community any longer."

"That is so great, Mills!"  She hugged me again.  "I am proud of you."

"Thank you."  I squeezed her back then floated over to the bags she had placed on the floor in the center of the chamber.  What are these?"

"Supplies.  To go and look for Finley."

"It is a suicide mission, Arilya."

"I do not care."

"Tell me what happened between you two.  Why did he run off?"

"Run?"

"Swim off.  Why did he leave?"

"We were in this secluded cave, pretty far from the Community.  Relatively close to the Southwest border."  She stopped and began fiddling with one of the bags, pulling at a loose hair in the weave.

"What were you doing there?"

"Kissing," she said guiltily.

"Okay.  What else happened?"

She took a few moments to answer and when she started to speak again the hesitation in her voice was obvious.  "The kissing became pretty intense.  Unreal, almost.  Like I was floating above our heads and looking down, watching us."