Chapter Nineteen - Scene 1

Viola treaded in front of a large oval mirror when Arilya arrived at the northern-most chamber of the arena. She briefly acknowledged Arilya's entrance by a slight nod, but did not turn from the mirror to greet her; she was much too preoccupied with braiding her hair into the perfect plait.

The other female in their class was also there, looking through an assortment of jewelry provided by the Council for the "honorees" to wear during the Ceremony. Arilya saw them both with sadness and pity. To them, the Ceremony meant nothing more than the last step to adulthood, but to Arilya, if she was not paired with Finley, it meant a prison sentence: a life chained to a stranger. How could she possibly do with one of the other mermen what she had done with Finley? It had meant so much to her, and now she knew, to him as well. It would destroy their bond if they were forced to have sex with others.

"Arilya, are you not going to make yourself presentable?" Viola asked out of boredom. She did not really care, but her hair was finished and she had already selected her jewels.

"I do not care what I look like. And neither does anyone else."

"That is true, but the least you can do is cover up that hideous red tail. It is bad enough we have to see it on a regular basis, but this is a special occasion."

"I like my tail."

"If you say so." Viola turned haughtily away and continued examining herself in the mirror, finding that activity much more entertaining than her attempt at debasing Arilya.

Arilya swam to theentrance, hoping to slip away before the Ceremony began, but the messengers whodragged her there were standing guard. The Council must have anticipated she would be a flight risk, becauseshe had never heard of guards for the Maidening Classes before. Dejected, she found a rock with a clear viewof the exit to rest against so she could flee if an opportunity presenteditself.