Chapter Four - Scene 1

The merphen of Finley and Arilya's class gathered in a circle on the south end of the Festival Grounds. Several members of the group shook the bags of shells in their hands, taunting their would-be competitors; Finley let his drop, then caught it with the end of his fin before it sank to the ground. Arilya stifled a giggle beside him.

"This is it," Viola said, grasping the opening of her bag and floating towards the center of the circle. "We have never been so close to adulthood. Soon, the timekeepers will glide through the Community, telling us it is time to get to work. This is our last chance for play."

"Geez, could she be any more serious?" Finley rolled his eyes.

"Oh, I can be more serious, Finley. You want to see how serious I can be?"

"Is that a challenge?"

"You have never posed much of a challenge to me." Viola smirked and several of the merphen laughed, Finley included.

"I have never been one to sink to a lesser's level."

Viola's eyes narrowed. She thrust her right hand into her bag. "Let's get on with this, shall we?"

"Oh yeah." Finley matched her pose. "Arilya, count us off."

Snickers rumbled through the group, but Arilya ignored them, coming forward and positioning herself between Finley and Viola, a palm extended towards each. "1... 2... 3... Draw!"

Bubbles rose as Viola and Finley's arms slashed through the water, slapping shells into Arilya's waiting hands.

"Finley!" she declared.

"Hmph," Viola grumbled, but seeing Finley prepared to strike again, her hand flew to her bag.

"Draw!" Arilya barked. Two more shells appeared. "Finley again!"

"Please!" Viola protested, "No way is his bigger than mine."

"They are about the same size and his hit my hand first."

"You are cheating for him."

"Am not!"

Finley laughed. "That is how you plan on beating me, Viola? By contesting every hand and accusing me of cheating?"

"I was not accusing you, I was accusing Arilya and her sick obsession with you."

"We are friends. There is nothing sick about that," Arilya said.

Murmurs from the crowd showed their disagreement.

"We will get a new judge," Finley said, ignoring Arilya's indignation and Viola's allegation, "and I will still beat you."

"We will see about that."

"Move back, Arilya."

"But..."

One look from Finley paused Arilya's objection and compelled her to return to her place in the circle. She crossed her arms over her chest, but watched silently as Viola summoned Japhet to referee the remainder of the game.

It was close, but Finley won.

He sashayed forward to collect his prize, his choice of any five seashells from Viola's collection, hamming the moment up for the crowd. "Please, please, no applause. I am just a humble merman. Your adoration is embarrassing."

Viola scowled, Arilya laughed, and the rest of the class enjoyed the show for a moment before forming games of their own.

"You know, you are not as clever as you think you are," Viola said, reluctantly handing over her bag.

Finley grinned. "I do not think I am clever at all. Witty, perhaps. A better shells player than you, definitely. But clever? Nah. That is your thing, Viola. I would not want to take anything else from you." He dropped his spoils into his bag, thrusting hers into her hands, and then turned his back, missing the rolling of Viola's eyes.

"Come on, Finley," Arilya swam to his side. "You and I can play now."

"What, no one else would play with you, Arilya?" Viola swam past, conscious she had not taken victory over Finley, but thrilled she could still have a bit of power over his friend.

"It is not like I asked anyone else," Arilya muttered. She jiggled her bag toward Finley. "What do you say, Fin?"

"Who is going to referee?"

"We don't need a judge."

"You cannot play shells without a judge."

"We will judge for ourselves," Arilya said.

"It won't be fair."

"You can trust me."

"Yes,you are very trustworthy," he laughed, "but I cheat!" Arilya joined his mirth, eventuallyconvincing him to play a round with her, but cheat at his peril.