Chapter Eleven - Scene 1

Arilya's eyes were red when Millicent turned to look at her; she knew how much Samuel's rejection had hurt. Millicent's heart had been completely shattered. Every time she tried to speak with Samuel, he rebuffed her in a similar fashion. He did not love her anymore. He could not remember ever having loved her. He had no clue what love even was.

"Oh, Mills, that is so terrible. How could you bear it?"

"I did not handle it well at all. I hid in my cave most of the time, unable to talk to the cold-hearted creatures I was doomed to spend eternity with. I only came out to receive food from William. I spoke to no one except Samuel and anytime I spoke with him it was with the hope it would be the time he finally remembered."

"But it never was?"

"It never was."

"Would you like a hug?" Arilya asked, holding her arms open wide. Millicent had to smile. The maid was such a natural nurturer; she felt guilty for being part of the group who doomed Arilya to life in the Community without love. Millicent swam to Arilya and let herself be engulfed. They switched roles in that moment. Millicent was no longer the mother-type figure in Arilya's life, Arilya was the one in Millicent's.

"I have not been able to talk about this with anyone. Ever."

"It must have been so difficult to go on, all that time, without friends or family. How did you do it?"

"I do not know. I just did."

"What happened to Samuel?"

"I think I have told you enough for today. I am exhausted, can we finish the story later?"

Arilya nodded and pattedher mentor's hand. "For what it isworth, Mills, I am glad you survived." And she swam away.