Chapter Twenty - Scene 2

"It is time."  Elizabeth sauntered into the northern chamber, the two guards on either side of her.  The Council is ready to begin.  Mothers, you will proceed in front of us; merphen in single file between the guards."

Shaz headed to the front of their little processional, head to the highest Arilya could remember seeing it, which was saying something.  Arilya found herself in the middle of the three girls, Elizabeth swimming at her side.  Without warning, Elizabeth reached over and snagged Arilya's bicep, gripping it painfully between her long, slender fingers.

"I know Mills has been filling your head with lies about the Council."

"What?"

"If you do anything to disrupt the ceremony, you will be banished – do you understand me?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You are not the brightest, but I know you are not dumb.  Trust me, I do not make idle threats."  Elizabeth released Arilya's arm and put a foot of water between them; Arilya rubbed the sore spot, wishing she was anywhere else.

Their line approached a stone arch leading into the arena; due to the group in front of her, Arilya could not see inside, but it was strangely quiet.  She was expecting the noise of talking and shouting that usually came from the crowd.  She had been part of it enough times to know that silence was not only unusual, but ominous.  She did not like it.

"This class's Ceremony is going to be a little different," Elizabeth said.  "We, the Council, feel the changes will make for a stronger Community in the long run."  As she finished her sentence, one of the burly guards came up behind Arilya and tied a blindfold snuggly over her eyes.

"Hey!"  The next thing she knew, her arms were wrestled behind her back and her wrists roped together.  She heard Viola laugh, but then the sound of a scuffle and protest and Viola must have been similarly bound.

With her sight blocked and movement limited, fear began to overtake Arilya.  She had been worried before, she was completely terrified now.  She squirmed and squealed and tried to free her hands, but a sharp slap fell across her cheek and stunned her still.

"What did I tell you, girl?"  Elizabeth's shrewd voice said.

Arilya felt the tears forming in her eyes, but they had nowhere to go.  All she could think was, "they are going to kill us, we are being sacrificed."  It was insane, a crazy idea because the Council had never done anything that barbaric before, but why else was it so quiet?  Why else were they not allowed to see or move on their own?

****

Across the arena, at another entrance, Finley had been similarly placed in line, threatened, blindfolded, and cuffed.  All he could think about was Arilya.  He hoped she was not being treated as cruelly as the mermen had been.

****

Arilya was jerked forward by someone pulling her arm to guide her into the arena.  It was still oppressively silent all around her.  She wanted to cry out for Finley, to see if he was okay, but she was too afraid of what Elizabeth would do to herself or Finley to attempt anything.  She stopped resisting her guide and floated quietly as they pulled her along.

Eventually, she was shoved downwards into a seated position on a rock or stone bench.  Someone held her down, two strange hands gripped her shoulders.

A voice boomed out, causing Arilya to jump slightly; her captor pushed her back down, hard.  "Mermaids, mermen, welcome.  As you can tell, we are doing things differently from now on.  We, the Council, have realized that you, the Community, do not appreciate our tireless efforts.  You abuse our kindness and good will.  It will no longer be tolerated.  Each and every one of you must play a role in helping the Community thrive.  Loyalty will be rewarded.  Dissension will be punished."