Chapter Five - Scene 3

Arilya's new class consisted of eight students: three girls and five boys. They were at the age where their tales were beginning to gain color and they were going to school for the first time. She found them all precious. The mermaid she was training with did not share her admiration. In fact, she seemed rather happy to pawn the merphen off on Arilya without any real training. But Arilya did not mind. Her charges were so eager to play and learn new things about the Community, she ignored her trainer's apathy and did the best she could to teach and encourage the little ones.

Wizen, the one she thought must be the youngest, because his tail had gained no color yet, spent large portion of their session with his hand raised, ready to ask a million questions. "Why do sharks eat mermaids? Do mermaids taste good?"

Arilya smiled. "I do not know if merpeople, remember sharks eat mermen, too, not just mermaids, taste good, but to a shark anything that moves and has blood is food. They are predators; they take anything they can get."

"Are we predators, too?"

"In a way, yes. We are hunters. We have discernment over what we kill and eat, but we do hunt weaker species, like sharks do."

"What does discernment mean?"

"It means we make choices."

"Oh. Is it true you were attacked by a shark when you were my age?"

"Yes, though, I was a little older. And I survived. Look here," Arilya pointed at the long, jagged scar on her arm. "This is where the shark's teeth sank into my skin."

"Wow!" Wizen exclaimed.

The rest of the class joined in: "Ohhhhh!"

"That is so neat!"

"Cool!"

The merphen looked up at their teacher-in-training with a new respect. She was much friendlier than their real teacher, plus, she had the coolest scar they had ever seen.

"But, just because I survived does not mean everyone will. Sharks are dangerous and I was very lucky to make it home alive that day. Do you understand?" Arilya swam through the class, waiting for a nod of acknowledgment from each student. Wizen raised his hand again.

"Yes?"

"I am going to be a hunter when I grow up!"

"That is very brave of you. We need big, strong mermen like you to become hunters so everyone in the Community has food.

"You cannot be a hunter!" One of the other boys laughed, shoving Wizen's arm. "You are too little. A shark would swallow you whole!"

"That is not nice, Quinoa. Apologize to Wizen."

"My parents never make me apologize."

"You are not at home right now. You are at school. And while you are at school, you must do as your teacher says. Who is your teacher?"

"You are, Ms. Arilya."

"That is right. So apologize."

"Who says I have to listen to you!"

"The Elders."

Quinoa shut his mouth and hung his head. "Sorry, Wizen," he muttered. Arilya could tell he had never uttered an apology in his life.

"Much better. In this class, we will be kind to one another, does everyone understand me? I am not your parent, but I do care about you and about how you are treated."

The class nodded, some withmouths agape. They did not know what itmeant to be cared about.