Chapter 31

October ninth.

The first live show.

I'm beyond nervous.

Backstage of the X Factor is incredibly busy. I wouldn't expect it any other way. Workers are running around all over the place with headsets on. Men are walking around filming random things on camera. All of the performers are in their own dressing rooms, preparing for the group performance. That's what I'm doing now.

I have already changed into my outfit for the group performance. I love everything about my outfit tonight except for my shoes. I have a white lace dress on that stops a few inches above my knees. A black leather jacket is over the dress and fits me perfectly. The theme for tonight's outfits are black and white. I even have black tights on. Everything about this outfit is perfect. Well, just about everything. My stylist said I have to wear these black ankle boots for the performance. The heels are about four inches high.

I can't walk in heels.

I told her this a million times, but she just waved me off. How does she expect me to walk around the stage in these things? I can barely walk over to the bathroom. I've been trying to quickly practice walking in them, but I just wobble. I must be the most uncoordinated person in the world.

My hair is up in a messy, but cute updo. A few pieces of hair are hanging in my face. Light make up has been applied to my face. My stylist, Bonnie, did a good job of picking this outfit out for me. I tried to tell her that, but once again, she waved me off. We haven't even have a conversation. All she told me was to sit down and not move. She's not very friendly.

"Carter, you are needed by the stairs." A short, plump woman strolls into my room, gripping a clipboard in her hands.

"Okay." I smile, uneasily.

I manage to stand up and wobble over to her. I'm going to fall. I just know it. The woman leads me through the backstage area to where the stairs lead to main stage. Rebecca, Wagner, Mary, and Belle Amie are already getting their microphones hooked up. I wave to Rebecca.

"Nervous?" Rebecca makes her way over to me.

"Just a little." I mumble. "I'm going to warn you now. I might be grabbing your arm a lot during the group performance."

Reneges frowns. "Why?"

I point down at my feet. "I have to wear these."

"Did you tell your stylist you can't walk in heels?" Rebecca questions me.

I nod. "I did. She isn't much of a talker."

"I won't let you fall." Rebecca gives me a side hug.

"Thanks." I smile at her gratefully.

Rebecca has a black one shoulder dress on. The one sleeve is really wavy and loose. Her hair is up in a tight bun. She has plain black heels on making her a little taller than me.

Rebecca smiles at something behind me. I turn around to see my five best friends walking over to us. They each have a different outfit on.

Niall is wearing white jeans with a white shirt that has a black pattern on it. Louis is practically in all white, too. He has white jeans with a white collared shirt. The only black he has on is his belt and shoes. Zayn has white jeans with a black button up and a white shirt on underneath. Liam is wearing all white, but has a grey scarf around his neck. Harry is the only one wearing black pants. He has a white button up shirt on with the sleeves rolled to his elbows.

They all look incredible. Louis definitely looks the best out of all of them.

Louis runs forward, breaking out of their synchronized walk. Rebecca puts her hand on my back, in case I stumble backwards. Louis's arm wrap around my waist and pulls me closely. I fling my arms around his neck to help me balance. I stumble backwards, but Louis keeps me stable.