Chapter 40

"Why does the stage have to be so dark?" I complain, clutching Matt's arm.

"They don't want the audience to see what is going on." Matt explains. "Be thankful that you're not in heels."

I look down at the floor only seeing a little bit of my purple high top converse. Everyone is wearing the color purple and denim. My outfit consists of dark wash skinny jeans with a tank top that has a few ruffles around the neckline. Hannah gave me a light washed denim button up shirt. I left all the buttons opened.

Hannah styled my hair for about two hours. She teased it like crazy. My hair is really curly, too. I was unsure about this style at first, but now I love it. It's different. Hannah said that this style fits the song I'm singing tonight. I'm not sure how a hair style can fit a song choice, though.

"Thanks for helping me." I stop in front of the little platform that I'm supposed to stand on.

"No problem." Matt grabs my hand and helps me walk to the top of the platform. "Good luck."

Matt releases my hand and walks back to his position. I stare out into the audience. They can't see me, but I can see them. All the lights on the stage are off. It's almost pitch black up here. I can only see a little bit. I would have fallen on my face if Matt hadn't helped me out here.

"Psst!"

What was that?

"Psst!"

Am I hearing things now? Maybe I'm going crazy.

"Psst!"

What is that noise?! It seems like it keeps getting louder and louder.

"Carter!"

It knows my name! Wait. What is it?

"Who's there?" I whisper, glancing over my shoulder.

Why does it have to be so dark? I can't see a thing. What if it is a rapist? Or someone here to kidnap me? Did Louis sneak out here?

"Carter! It's Cher!"

Oh. That makes more sense. Why would a rapist be out here? Or Louis? He has to get ready for our performance in a few moments. Why do I have such a crazy imagination?

"What?" I whisper back to her.

"I just wanted to say good luck." Cher whispers.

I turn my head in her direction. "Thanks! Good luck, too."

The lights on the stage slowly come back. I turn my head back to face the audience. I grip my microphone in my hands. Here we go. All of the lights come on and I see Cher, Rebecca, and Treyc on their own platforms. Cher is on my left side and Rebecca and Treyc are on my right. The music to Forget You starts playing. Cher shoots me a smile as the four of us start to dance a little on our platforms.

"I see you driving around town with the girl I love and I'm like forget you." Pajie sings behind us. Matt and Aiden are on either side of him.

"Yeah! I'm sorry I can't afford a Ferrari." Cher dances to the music.

"But, that don't mean I can't get you there!" Rebecca sings her part.

I take a deep breath. "I guess he's a Xbox and I'm more atari." I smile at the audience.

"But, the way you play your game ain't fair." Treyc sings after me.

"I pity the fool who falls in love with you. Yeah." Matt walks forward with Paije and Aiden.

"Oh, shhh. She's a gold digger just thought you should know." Aiden stares out into the audience.

"I got some news for you, yeah!" Matt dances along to the music.