Chapter 2

Snowkit sat next to Ashkit, stroking his back with her tail. Every so often he groaned in pain, and it hurt Snowkit to hear it.

Shadekit and Mountainkit were together, watching from afar. Mountainkit couldn't seem to face Ashkit after the accident, so Shadekit went and comforted him.

Suddenly, four cats burst out of the trees. Sorrelfoot, Thornstar, Goldenspirit, and a silver-gray tabby came running towards Ashkit.

Sorrelfoot and Goldenspirit stopped by Shadekit and Mountainkit, but the silver-gray she-cat and Thornstar came to Ashkit.

"What happened?" the silver she-cat asked.

"Ashkit and Mountainkit were practicing for the Apprentice Trials and Ashkit stepped on this thing," Snowkit explained as quickly as she could.

"Shiningcreek," Thornstar called to the silver tabby, "it's a Twoleg trap."

Shiningcreek bent down and sniffed the gray jaws, then nodded.

"Snowkit!" Goldenspirit hollered. "Come here!"

Snowkit turned to the other four cats and ran to them. She dug her face into Goldenspirit's long, soft fur as her back was stroked. She had always done this when she needed comforting and Goldenspirit was happy to comfort her this way.

"Will Ashkit be okay?" Shadekit asked.

"I know he'll survive this," Sorrelfoot said, "but I don't know the condition he'll be in afterwards."

"This is all my fault..." Mountainkit whined. "I shouldn't have brought him out here."

"There was no way you could've known a Twoleg places a trap here today," Goldenspirit's calming voice told him.

Mountainkit nodded and leaned against her, tears running down his face.

After a couple of tries, Thornstar and Shiningcreek were able to pry open the Twoleg trap and place Ashkit on Thornstar's back.

Shiningcreek and Sorrelfoot conversed for a moment and then Shiningcreek rushed off into the woods.

"She said it's bad," Sorrelfoot told the others. "She's gone to get a few herbs to help, but shell only be able to do so much."

"Ashkit won't be able to take his Apprentice Trial?" Shadekit asked.

"Ashkit may not get to be a warrior."

Snowkit opened her hazel eyes to dimming sunlight. It was almost moonrise, which meant the Apprentice Trials were nearly here.

Snowkit had her head resting on Goldenspirit, who was still asleep, and Mountainkit and Shadekit were curled up next to them. Everything that day felt like a nightmare, but Snowkit knew the blood-stained grass and scary Twoleg trap was all real. And so was her brother's condition.

The kits and Goldenspirit weren't allowed to see him just yet. Shiningcreek said he needed rest and space to heal. Thornstar was only granted permission if he was getting Shiningcreek more herbs, and she constantly needed more cobwebs.

Thornstar wanted to continue with the scheduled Apprentice Trials, if the kits still wanted to do them. Everyone said yes, even though they were all distraught.

Snowkit hoped that spending the rest of the day in the nursery with Goldenspirit and her other litter mates would calm her and allow her to ready herself for her trial.

Shadekit and Mountainkit poked their heads up and glanced at Snowkit with the same look: determination. All three knew they had to complete their Apprentice Trials for Ashkit.