Prologue

The dawning sun's light stretched along the stone ground of the warrior camp. All was silent except the slight breeze rustling the tree's leaves. Even the dawn patrol warriors were still asleep.

A few moments later, quiet paw steps could be heard and a gray-pelted warrior stepped out into the light, his fur rippling in the wind. This cat was no ordinary warrior. He was Thornstar, leader of FlameClan.

Thornstar had been quite lonely for the moon his mate spent in the nursery. And still, she was in there taking care of his three young kits. So, every morning Thornstar got up and went to hunt alone, as he was doing now.

Silently, he trekked across the stone camp and out into the dark woods ahead. The sunlight was not strong enough yet to illuminate the thick forest surrounding the camp, so it was as dark as a cloudy night inside.

For Thornstar, hunting alone was a way to clear his head and allow him to think. Though he was alone, he never felt lonely in FlameClan's woods.

At the current time of day, prey often was most abundant near the unclaimed territory between FlameClan and RainClan. He wouldn't dare venture too far in alone, but he could go a ways without being detected by RainClan patrols.

Of course, as soon as the forest began to thin, Thornstar picked up traces of a mouse. It was the end of newleaf, so the mouse had to be quite fat. Perfect for a nursing queen.

Thornstar dropped into a hunting crouch and silently followed the scent, being sure to stay downwind. Still, the only sound was leaves rustling above and the occasional merlin singing to other songbirds.

Soon, the mouse, large and delicious, was in view. Just looking at it made Thornstar's mouth water, but he reminded himself that this catch wasn't for him. The mouse stopped and raised its head.

Thornstar lept on top of it and unsheathed his claws. The mouse went limp and Thornstar picked it up in his jaw, warm blood seeping out of the body and onto his tongue.

Thornstar padded over to the nearest tree and dug a hole at the base. When the hole was deep enough, he dropped the freshkill into it and covered it up.

While I'm out here, I might as well catch more, Thornstar thought.

Thornstar hunted for what felt like forever. His silence and patience had gotten him multiple thrushes, squirrels, mice, and starlings, Thornstar's favorite. He could've kept hunting, but Thornstar's hiding spot was getting quite full and he was a little tired.

Sorrelfoot is not going to be happy that I hunted so much, Thornstar thought and chuckled aloud. After digging up the fat mouse he caught first, Thornstar trekked back to FlameClan's camp.

Surely enough, as Thornstar entered the camp he was immediately pestered by a young tortoiseshell-and-white she-cat.

"Where were you all morning?" she asked impatiently.

"I wah huning," Thornstar replied as best he could with the mouse in his mouth.

"How many times have I said that I organize patrols to do that for us?"

Thornstar stopped and laid the mouse by his paws so he could speak clearly. "It helps me relax."

"Relax? Wow, I didn't know you were that uptight," the she-cat joked.

Thornstar smiled and said, "I can show one of the patrols where the freshkill is buried."

"I'm sure you found enough to feed the entire Clan."

"Sorrelfoot, sometimes you need to relax."

"Me? Well, now, I am always relaxed!"