Chapter 25- Addiction

~Marina's POV~
I wake up and I see Melody next to me, sitting at the edge of the bed.
"Good morning. Are you alright?" I wonder.
"Yeah. Sorry about last night. It was rough for me."
"It's fine.. Well I'm going to have to go see Pearl now.. I have to go like right now."
"Oh.. okay. I'll see you later." She gives me a smile. Now that's what I like to see.
I go over to hug her.
"Please take care of yourself."
"I'll try."
"Okay, bye!"
I walk downstairs and out of the house.
I really hope Pearl got through her surgery.
The hospital is just right around the corner from here. I'll get there fast.
I start sprinting down the street.
Before I know it, I'm already at the hospital. That was actually really quick.
I run inside and rush to Pearl's room.
Everybody in the waiting room was staring at me.
My fist repetitively knocks on the door.
The door opens to reveal a doctor.
"You must be Marina. Come inside."
I walk inside and see Pearl, she's covered in even more bandages. She probably can't even move a muscle in those.
"Is she okay?!" I yell.
"Not really.. but the good news is that she is alive and she will wake up any minute now."
Thank god she's alive.
"Okay. Thank you for taking care of her."
I sit down in a chair next to the hospital bed and stare at Pearl's scarred, bandaged face.
Poor Pearlie..
I put my hand on hers and she twitches.
Maybe I shouldn't do that..
I just have to wait for her to wake up.. I can't wait to talk to her.
I wonder how long she'll take to recover..
I just can't stand this. I want her to wake up. I want to know that she's okay.
A single tear rolls down my face.
I notice that she twitches again.
Her eyes start to shutter.
Is she waking up?
Her eyes fully open and scale across the room.
"Pearl, you're awake." The doctor comes over to the bed.
"W-where am I?" She stutters.
"Do you remember anything?"
"I remember me dying. That's about it."
"You're alive. You got into an accident."
"Pfft, I know that. I just thought I died."
"Well you didn't. Why don't you say hi to your girlfriend? She came to visit you. She was worried sick."
"Girlfriend? Marina? My girlfriend?" She struggles to turn her head to look at me.
"Hi, Pearl!" I exclaim.
"Why are you here?"
"I came to see if you're okay. What kind of question is that?"
"I don't know.. Just..."
"Marina, she injured her brain so she's temporarily emotionally unstable." The doctor says.
I nod my head.
How am I supposed to deal with this?
"Pearl..? What happened and why did you take my motorcycle?! You can't even ride a bike without training wheels!"
"Well you were sleeping and I needed to buy a new table because you fucked me on it-"
"PEARL WHAT THE FUCK?! YOU CAN'T SAY THAT IN PUBLIC!" I yell.
"I didn't need to know that.." The doctor slowly backs away. "I'll be back later." He leaves the room.
"See?"
"It's all your fault for breaking the table, fat bitch"
"Forget about the table!" "Wait.. What did you just call me?"
"Oh umm" She looks around the room.
"Thanks, Pearl"
"Sorry. I don't know what's going on anymore."
"You could've woken me up! Or you could've waited! What made you do this?!"
"I thought I could drive it.. I'm sorry I'm such a disappointment. I'm sorry I'm not the girlfriend you wanted. I'm sorry."
"No you don't have to be sorry about anything. I'm just saying that you didn't have to hurt yourself like this. Look at you now. This is just a big mistake.."
"By the way, what happened to me? What's wrong with me?"
"Well um you got in an accident and run over.. The doctor listed so many injuries that I can't even remember. I just hope you'll be okay.."
"I will, Mar. I told you I would stay with you forever."
I start crying uncontrollably.
"No no please don't cry. I wish I could hug you but um my arms don't work.."
"PEARL I LOVE YOU SO MUCH DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT LEAVING ME!" I sob.
"I will never. I'm immortal for you" she giggles.
Pearl leaving me is my biggest fear. I can't get over it. I think about it constantly.
"Um can you come over here? Since I can't hug you I'll kiss you" I can see her blush.
I come closer to her and notice the scars on her face.
"Pearl, you have scars all over your face.."
"Just ignore em! I want to give you affection."
"You're so cute." I squeal.
I lower my face down and she kisses me.
"Ow.. that hurt but it was worth it."
"I don't want to hurt you!" I see blood dripping from her lip.
"Pearl!! Are you okay?!"
"Yeah. What is it?"
"Your lip is bleeding" I point out.
"It is? Can you hand me a tissue?"
"Sure. I don't think it will help much though." I give her a tissue from the table next to the bed.
She places it on her lip.
"Ow that shit hurteded."
"You joke around at the wrong times"
The doctor walks back in the room.
"I'm bac- oh my god! What happened to her?! That's a lot of blood." He says in a shocked tone.
"Her lip is bleeding. Could you check it out?"
"Of course. I need to."
He goes over to Pearl and takes a closer look at her.
"That's ripped open.. I think we might have to get stitches for this one.." He groans.
"WHAT?! I'M ALREADY IN ENOUGH PAIN! AND HOW WILL I BE ABLE TO KISS MARINA?!" Pearl screams.
"Woah calm down there. It's actually essential or else you'll never be able to kiss her again."
"Fine.. I'll get it done."
"I have a question. How long will it take her to recover from everything?" I ask.
"Oh god.. She'll have to stay in the hospital for about another couple weeks.. She won't be able to even move until we perform the next surgery. She won't be able to walk for awhile either."
"Really? That's horrible.." I sigh.
"Can you kill me now?" Pearl groans.
"If you think like that we'll have to send you to a mental hospital after this"
"No more hospitals, please."
"So um I'm going to prepare for you to get stitches. I'll be back in an hour." He leaves the room again.
"Marina please save me.."
"I really wish I could but you have to get better. What else could I tell you?"
"I don't want to get stitches!! It's painful, especially in the lip!" She whines.
"I know.. Can I kiss you for the last time in awhile?" I plead.
"Please. You can even keep kissing me until the doctor comes back. Just don't kiss me where it's bleeding"
I kiss the left side of her lip repetitively.
"I wuv you!" I say in a baby voice.
"Don't say it like that! I hate when you do that!"
"Too bwad pwearlie OwO"
"Pwease stawhp!"
"HAHA YOU DID IT TOO!"
"Kwill yourswelf"
"No u"
"That's invalid"
"Pppfff whatever."
"Haha."
"Shouldn't you be getting some rest now? I mean you basically cheated death." I proclaim.
" Aww I'm gonna be so boreeeed though.. I mean everywhere hurts but I don't even want to rest." She mumbles starting to talk slower.
" I don't even feel tire-"
And she's out
She's very peaceful while she's sleeping. It kills me to see her all bandages up right now. At least she seems all right. She will take a while to heal though...
Maybe I should call Melody to see how she's doing. Hopefully I can try to convince her to go to rehab.I don't know how I'm gonna do it though. She seems dead set on dealing with things herself...The doctor won't be here for another 45 minutes.Pearl will be fine though, I hope. I'll only step out for a few minutes to call Melody. Then, I can wait for Pearl to wake up. I hope the doctor lets me stay while she's gets her stitches. I think it might help Pearl if I'm there. Pearl is tough, but she's uncomfortable with needles and she'll raise hell for the doctors if I'm not there.
Out of nowhere, the doctor enters the room.
"Pearl's asleep?" He asks.
"Yep.."
"She needed some sleep anyway. She's been through a lot.. She didn't even sleep last night. We'll do the stitches tomorrow."
"Sounds good."
"Okay. Are you staying here all night? I'm pretty sure it will be hard to sleep on a chair.."
"I suppose I'll go home now. I'll be back in the morning." I get up from my chair. While I'm at it, I bend over and kiss Pearl.
"We're doing the stitches in the morning. You can come back at around noon."
"I can't stay in the room with her?" I question.
"Nope."
"Fine. Just warning you that she will go insane."
"I'll prepare. See you tomorrow." He motions me to the door.
"Bye." I walk out into the hall then out of the building.
It's already night.. I don't know how..
I just hope that Pearl will be okay tomorrow.
I start sprinting down the sidewalk.
All I want to do is go home and forget about all my worries.
I rush to my apartment and forcefully open the door. Whew... It's been a long day.At least Pearl is doing alright. I guess I should actually eat something now, I haven't eaten for a while. What should I make for dinner? I open the cabinet and see... basically nothing. I guess with all this stuff going on we forgot to buy groceries.There's a whole lot of ketchup and mayo, but nothing to put it on. I check the freezer. There's a pint of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Guess I'm having ice cream for dinner! I don't mind, I mean anytime is a good time for ice cream. I grab the frosty container and a spoon and sit on the couch. I should call Melody now to check up on her. I eat a spoonful of ice cream as I dial her number.
Ring ring..
"Hello?"
"Hi Melody."
"HEY MARINA!!" She babbled.
"Hi.."
"YOU KNOW I'M ACTUALLY REALLY HAPPY YOU CALLED I MEAN IT WAS GETTING REALLY BORING SO I DECIDED TO DO SOME LINES AND NOW I'M DOING FINE!I WAS ACTUALLY JUST THINKING ABOUT YOU,BUT LETS BE REAL. I'M ALWAYS THINKING ABOUT YOU! PLEASE DON'T THINK THAT'S WEIRD AND LEAVE ME."She continues.
Oh boy.
"I just wanted to check up on you and see if you were doing okay."
"YEAH IM DOING GREAT!! THE ROOM IS SPINNY AND ITS LIKE A PARTY. HAHAH FUN PARTY! OWW I RAN INTO THE TABLE! STUPID FUCKING TABLE IT SHOULD DIE!"
I hear a repeated banging noise on the other side. It sounds like she's kicking the table.
"STUPID TABLE!! THAT SHOULD TEACH YOU TO NOT MESS WITH ME, I HAVE THE POWER OF GOD AND ANIME ON MY SIDE!! MARINA! ARE YOU PROUD OF ME?! I BEAT UP A TABLE! IM SO STRONG!!"
"Yeah...super proud.."
"I WANT TO GO OUTSIDE AND RUN AROUND BUT WILL SAYS I SHOULDN'T WHEN IM LIKE THIS BUT WHY I FEEL JUST FINE! I JUST WANT TO RUN BUT WILL SAID NO. ALSO EVERYTHING IS GREEN SHOULD I BE CONCERNED? I GUESS ITS JUST PART OF THE PARTY.HAA HAA FUN PARTY!... HEY MARINA YOU SHOULD COME TO THE PARTY AND DANCE WITH ME!.. WE COULD SLOW DANCE WHILE THE ROOM SPINS! THAT WOULD BE REALLY COOL DONT 'CHA THINK?!? JOIN THE PARTY! I THINK YOU'RE ON THE GUEST LIST! IF YOU'RE NOT I'LL JUST SNEAK YOU IN! IT WOULD BE A FUN MISSION THING. IF I BEAT UP A TABLE I COULD BEAT UP ANYONE!!! HAAAHAAA HAAA HAAAA Haaa haaa ha..."
I hear a loud thump then silence. I think she knocked herself out. Her phone is still on but there is only silence in the on the other line. I hope Will takes a break from fortnite and notices her. He's probably in the basement. I'm guessing she is in her living room. Maybe I should go over and help her. I'm about to leave my house when I hear this.
"OWW MY HEAD HURTS!!MARINA MAKE IT STOP!!ARE YOU STILL THERE? MARINA?!?"
"Yeah I'm still here."
"OH GOOD. IM GLAD YOU'RE STILL TALKING TO ME. WILL HIDES AWAY IN THE BASEMENT WHEN I GET EXCITED. HE SAYS HE CAN'T TALK TO ME WHEN I'M LIKE THIS. I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY,I'M MORE ALIVE THEN EVER! I DON'T FEEL LONELY OR SAD... I DON'T Feel.. worthless..."
"You could feel even better if you could get help.. You could find a way to feel better without drugs. If you keep going like this, I'm worried you could really hurt yourself.. I could help you. I'll come with you to a rehab center. We could do this.. together." I offer.
"I DON'T KNOW ANYMORE! I don't think I can stop.. I'm losing it Marina, don't bother."
I think her high is wearing off.. I don't know if she'll listen, but I have to try.
" Look, if you keep doing this, you're gonna destroy yourself. You have so much potential. I don't want you to ruin yourself. And I'm sure Will doesn't want to see you in this state either."
"Will.. Oh god Will.." I hear her start to cry.
" I didn't even think of him.. All this time.. I'M SELFISH! I didn't even think about him. It's always been about trying to avoid my problems.. I'm a bad sister.." She sniffles.
" You can fix it. You could make it through this; Will and I will help you. Please..."
"..."
"..."
She hisses through her teeth"...Fine. Just please promise you'll be there for me."
I can hear the pain in her voice, I know this is a difficult decision for her.
" I promise."