Chapter Fifty-Five

Daryl

Charlie laid her head against my shoulder, leanin’ her entire body into me. I felt a smile tuggin’ at one corner of my mouth. So much for keepin’ this a secret. Just a little over a week ago, we’d both been dead set on keepin’ what was happenin’ between us under wraps. Now, though, it was like that conversation had never even happened. Which was fine by me. After almost losin’ her once, I didn’t give a damn what anyone though ‘bout us bein’ together like this. Not that I cared all that much before either.

It was different, havin’ a meetin’ without Rick bein’ the one to lead it. He’d come walkin’ back from wherever he’d gone off to at the ass crack of dawn, but hadn’t said a word. It was like his outburst from the night before had never even happened. Just another reason on a long list of why Rick was better off sittin’ on the sidelines for now. I shook my head. Just thinkin’ ‘bout it was tough. Always thought he’d be the last man standin’, that he had a better head on his shoulders than all of us combined. Should’ve known losin’ Lori would do this to him eventually. If I’d lost Charlie…well, I think I’d be in the same boat as Rick right about now.

“I think we’re all in agreement that it’s time to get this place ready for when the attack comes.” Glenn said, leanin’ against the wall. Maggie stood next to him with her arms crossed over her chest.

“But how do we know he’s going to attack? Maybe he’s too intimidated to really come after us.” Beth suddenly said. ‘Course it would be Beth who would say that. Girl had to try and see the silver lining in every little damn thing.

Merle was the first to shoot that comment down, shakin’ his head. “Trust me, honey, he ain’t intimidated. Once he knows where we are, there ain’t much we can do from stoppin’ him. He’s comin’. Just a matter of when.” He finished, his lips tugged down at the corners.

I wouldn’t ever tell Merle this, but I was surprised as hell he hadn’t ended up locked in one of the cells yet. Figured between his bad attitude and his mouth, he’d piss somebody off nice and good by now. He hadn’t, though. Which made me think maybe that Harlow was good for him. More than that. She was probably the best damn thing for him.

My eyes slid over to Harlow, where she stood close next to Merle. She was noddin’ her head in agreement. “Merle’s right. The Governor’s too proud to just let us go on existing. He needs to make a point and the best way to do that is to wipe us off the map.” I could almost hear the venom in her voice. She hated the man enough for all of us.

Michonne shifted. She’d been leanin’ against the railin’ of the stairs Charlie and I were sittin’ on. “He’s smart, too. He’ll come up with something that’ll throw us off. It won’t just be an old west shoot out.” She said quietly. I’d had my problems with Michonne when she’d first showed up, but I’d long since settled that. I felt like I owed her a debt, but I didn’t think she knew that. I felt like it was thanks to her, and her alone, that Charlie was still alive when I finally found her.

“Then I guess we should spend what time we have getting this place ready.” Hershel spoke up, hobblin’ on his crutches towards Glenn. “We worked on the fences yesterday, but I bet there’s more we could do.”

“We should put some weapons on the outside…that way if he catches us off guard all the guns won’t be in here where we might not be able to get them.” Maggie shrugged. It was a damn good idea.