Chapter Sixty-Seven

A/N:

Hi...it's me. I won't waste time apologizing (although I really am SO sorry this took so long). What I will say though is that this chapter, while I'm glad to have finally finished it, is more of a filler than anything and meant to tide you guys over until I can hammer out the next one. I have a lot of things still planned for the future with this and things will be changing from the storyline in the show so be warned! Anyways- I hope you guys can all forgive me and just remember that I love you all so very, very much.

PS- If anyone is especially curious, I've been taking time off to work on my own origninal novel so that is where most of my time is going...Sorry guys but I felt it was time.

OH! Before I forget, I entered this story into the Watty's. Please vote for this story on Twitter from August 24-31. Use the link and the hashtag #mywattyschoice   ....<3

_____

Charlie

"I can't run anymore." I gasped in between breaths, stumbling to the ground. My lungs felt like they were ready to burst, each breath causing a sharp sting in my ribcage. I fell back onto the soft grass, letting my eyes fall shut. It felt like we'd been on the move for hours though it couldn't have been long at all. I swore I could still smell smoke from the prison fire in the distance.

I felt the warmth of another body next to me as Daryl lied down as well. I automatically rolled onto my side, curling into him. His fingers trailed over my shoulders. "We'll rest here tonight." He finally said. "We can start lookin' for Gabe and the others in the mornin', after things have settled."

I nodded, swallowing over a lump in my throat. The idea of my little brother out there somewhere, potentially on his own, made my heart ache and fear wind itself through my veins. I shouldn't have let him leave the bus on his own. I had been the one who wanted to find Daryl. If it wasn't for me...I let the thought trail off. Wishful thinking never did anyone any good. We had more pressing matters at the moment. We had been thrown back into the outside world. No food, no water, no shelter. Just me, a baseball bat, Daryl, and his crossbow.

I felt Daryl's gaze on me and tilted my head to look up at him. His blue eyes were watching me, a combination of concern and protectiveness filling them. "I'm not gonna let anythin' happen to ya'. You know that. We're gonna be fine." He said in his deep, gruff voice.

I shook my head. "I know, Daryl." I gave him a weak smile, spreading my fingers over the front of his shirt. Beneath the warmth of his skin, I could feel his heart beating in a steady, reassuring rhythm. "I'm worried about the others." They would survive. That I knew. What I didn't know, though, was if I'd ever see any of them again. I gritted my teeth, fighting back the wave of tears that threatened to spill over and streak trails down my cheeks. Crying wouldn't do anyone any good right now.

"We'll find 'em. No matter how long it takes."

I sucked in a deep breath and slowly let it out through pursed lips. The tightness in my throat subsided. "I hope so." I murmured. The others were family too. I'd lost track a long time ago of all the people I'd lost. Rick, Carl, Maggie...all of them were family now and the idea of losing them as well made my heart ache. I felt Daryl's lips brush my temple before he was pushing himself up off the ground. I sat up, watching as he surveyed our surroundings with the cool, collected expression I recognized as survival mode. "What do we need to do?" I asked.

"Make a fire. Find some food." He grunted.

I pulled myself to my feet. "I'll started getting some wood together. You hunt."

He gave me a weary look. "You know I don't like the idea of you out there, wanderin' around all by yourself."

"I know, but I'm gonna do it anyways." I said, giving him a tiny smile and he let out a huff in response. "I won't go far." I reached for his hand and gave it a quick squeeze before turning and heading into the thicket of trees that bordered the clearing.