Chapter 8: Comfort

Midnight POV

"Master! We're running low on cream puffs!" Chocola yells from the dining area. 

"On it!" Kashou replies from the kitchen.

I've been helping him bake everything today. It's even more hectic than usual, mainly because of my newly gained status. I raise my head up from a mixing bowl to glance outside of the little window between the kitchen and dining area. I see the people's eyes light up as they catch a glimpse of me. It's kinda weird.

"Maybe this wasn't the best idea..." Cyan says I return to my mixing bowl.

"Are you kidding? This is great! With all these people around, there's no way Dominic would try to take me down."

"I guess you're right...Hell, maybe we can have our happy ending."

"I hope so...I hope so."

We only opened an hour ago and this place is already filled to the brim. I can see a line forming around the block. Everyone's either on their phone or talking to whoever their waiting with. 

"Has this place ever been so busy?" I ask Kashou.

"Not really." He responds, standing up from the ovens. "It's all because of that competition you did with Mika."

I just kinda nod to myself as I continue baking.

"Hey. Thanks." Kashou says.

"For what?"

"For keeping my bakery open. If it weren't for you, this place might've been torn down."

"Even if I did lose, there's no way I'd let her tear this place down. It's my home...And it's the first one I've had in a long time." I finish my sentence quietly. 

"Kashou!" Azuki yells as she enters the kitchen. "We're running low on just about everything. So, where's anything?!"

"It's finishing up now. Just a few more minutes." He replies.

"Today is gonna suck." I thought to myself. I turn back to glance over a few recipes, continuing to assist in the kitchen.

A few hours later

"Finally!" I yell pushing open the kitchen doors. With the increased amount of costumers, there wasn't much time for any breaks today. I slip off my apron and throw it on the kitchen counter as I slump into a chair. I glance over to see the girls all exhausted and groaning.

"There were so many people today!" Azuki groaned with a tired voiced.

"Today was incredible!" Shigure exclaimed coming downstairs. "We practically quadrupled our normal sales!" She started to smile gleefully. "At this rate, we'll be able to start another location, then another, then another, then another! All until we have an entire army at our disposal!" She began laughing to herself manically. The others didn't seem to pay much attention to her laughing.

"She's weird." Cyan said.

"Yeah." I respond. She quickly twisted her head to stare in my direction. "Shit. Did I say that out loud."

"And it's all thanks to you!" She said with her bright smile.

"Wha?" I ask tired and confused. She rushed over to stand in front of me.

"Since you've shown off your ears and tail, the whole world's been wanting you. I posted that picture on the blog, and the total visits for that day alone almost doubled the total visits ever!" Her smile seemed to get even bigger the longer she talked about this new found fortune. She just kept going and going, so after a few minutes, her voice began to become dull to my ears. The words began to fade as I started to think of other things.