Chapter 3: Things Start Heating Up

Midnight's POV

"Let's see if you can bake." Kashou said, tying his own aporn and handing me my own. We had just gotten back from the mall. The girls were upstairs doing whatever, and I had just spent the last couple minutes setting up my room, until Kashou called me down.

"Well that came outta nowhere." Cyan said.

"So...What do I do?" I ask, tying my apron around my back.

"Just watch and listen for now." He instructed, grabbing a few things from the fridge. He pulled out eggs, flour, sugar, and some other things. I wasn't really paying attention, just kinda thinking to myself.

"Now watch carefully." He takes a bowl out from one of the cabinets and begins cracking the eggs into it. He mixes in some flour, sugar, then I stopped paying attention and started daydreaming about whatever. In a few minutes he had a bater.

"...And that's how to make cake batter. Got it?" He asks. I nod, having no clue what he did. He pours the mixture into a tray and puts it in the oven. "Now you try."

"Uhh...Okay." I answer. I take the same ingredients from the counter and take out a bowl.

"I got this." I hear Cyan say.

"Thank God." I let my arms go limp while Cyan takes control. He starts to take the ingredients and mix them all into the bowl with a frightening mixture of confidence and flare. It took him a few minutes, but i felt the control go back to my arms.

"There. Done." I say. I glance over to Kashou, looking at the mixture with surprise in his eyes.

"Wow...You're a natural." He took the mixture and pour it into a tray, setting it aside for later.

"Thanks..." I say.

"You're welcome." Cyan says in a slightly aggravated tone.

"The' thanks' was for you too."

"So...what 'work' would I do?" I ask Kashou as he pulls some things out of the fridge.

"Well, you can help me in the kitchen, and if we need some extra servers...you could do that too."

"Alright...But I'm not much of a people person." I say, nervously rubbing the back of my neck.

"That's alright...You shouldn't have to go out all too often."

"Thanks again. You know....For everything." I begin to hear light footsteps and laughter above us. "Heh...You took good care of my sisters."

"Hey....Where did you come from?"

"I--I--" I stutter, trying to find the right words.

"The Forest." Cyan says. "Just don't mention the lab."

"I--I came from the forest. I've been living there for a while. My parents just kinda left me and my sisters there, I've been taking care of them...until they wandered off. I couldn't find them...so I expected the worst...Guess I could've checked out the city sooner, but I didn't know how people would react to...ya know...me."

The room goes silent for a few moments, until someone comes down the stairs.

"Master! Chocola's hungry!" She complained, entering the kitchen.

"We had lunch a few hours ago. It's not even 5 yet." Kashou said.

"Awww! Please!" She begged. The sound off the oven dinged and Chocola's nose perked up. "*sniff*, *sniff* Yay! You made cake! Can Chocola have some, please!" She begged again. Kashou tends to Chocola while I go take the cake out of the oven.