XVIII

Akuma

"Why does he hate me so much?"
Connor continues to stare out the window, his forehead creased with aggravation.
"He doesn't hate you..."
I whisper as I lower my eyes to Damien's relaxed expression. My statement earns a scoff from Connor and I sigh, brushing hair from Damien's face.
"I had mentioned I sort of... apprenticed Damien. Fostered him perhaps. I suppose it was because of my lack of capability that he never learned to keep as tight a hold on his emotions as our kind should."
I begin, drawing Connor's curious but hard gaze to me.
"I explained why a vampire must learn to keep their emotions in check, because it only causes problems. Damien always had trouble because he's been through a lot."
I continue quietly, rubbing my thumb over Damien's cheekbone.
"I don't believe he truly hates you. I think, he's scared perhaps. For many reasons. When Damien was young, his entire village was wiped out by a group of hunters. I won't explain in detail, but please know that's where his apprehensiveness towards you began. Why he wasn't even able to rest without my protection."
I tell him, watching as his gaze turns to shock, disgust hiding in those eyes. He looks down, seeming a bit guilty as I continue.
"That's why I took him in. He is also scared because I am the only one he's ever had, and he feels that is being taken away from him."
I finish as Connor nods, his eyes softened.
"He thinks I'm stealing you."
He whispers and I nod slowly, settling my hand back on Damien's shoulder. Connor sighs and pulls his knees to his chest, his eyes trained on the open window. We spend the rest of the short night in silence, Connor eventually going to the laundry room to do a few loads and then bathe. He returns in his original attire, eating a bowl of stew before going to bed, muttering about how tired he is. I wait for a bit to see if Damien will wake up, but after a while my heavy eyelids convince me to rest and I doze off on the couch.

Connor

I wake with a start, clenching the covers as I shoot up in bed, gasping for air. My mother's blood-splattered face and lifeless eyes flash behind my pupils, as well as images of my young sister sobbing as a wild-looking vampire takes her blood. I take slow, deep breaths, whispering to myself.
They are fine. They are safe. They are at home right now, happy as always.
I whisper until my breathing and heartbeat have calmed. I climb out of bed and fix my hair, making my way into the hallway and down the stairs. Akuma sits on the couch with her head leaned back against the cushions, her gaze trained on me. I meet her eyes only to notice that they are a shimmering red, although they are soft.
"What's wrong?"
I ask as I bounce off the last step, my nerves tingling anxiously.
"Your heart rate and breathing skyrocketed suddenly. Is everything okay? You smell of fear."
She says emotionlessly, her eyes roaming from my face to my body.
"Just a nightmare."
I reassure with a gentle smile and she nods, lifting her head back up. I move towards the kitchen, noting Damien who is still curled up on the couch, Akuma acting as his own personal pillow.
"Akuma-"
I call gently as I open the fridge, not too loud.
"Can I make a few eggs for myself?"
I ask and receive an affirmative hum. I pull out the eggs and milk, making myself a lively breakfast of three fried eggs, two pieces of toast, and a large glass of cold milk. I set my plate and glass on the table, smiling to myself at my small accomplishment. It's as close to normal as I've been since I separated from my dad and the human world I used to know.
"You seem pleased."
Akuma's gently teasing voice startles me and I jump, shooting my gaze up to where she stands on the other side of the counter. Her pointed elbows rest atop the granite, her palms cushioning her softly angled chin within them. What catches my attention most is her hair. She had let it down for the first time that I have seen and the silky waves cascade over her shoulders and out of sight. She lifts her chin to wave a hand at me, drawing my attention back to her eyes.
"Ah, yes, what?"
I ask, frowning a bit. She rolls her eyes and smiles softly, shaking her head. A gasp sounds from the other room and Akuma's sharp gaze shoots to the living room, my eyes trained on her face as the living room is blocked from my view.
"Morning sunshine."
Akuma calls teasingly and I release a soft sigh, sitting down at the table as I realize that Damien had awoken. It is only a moment before Damien trudges into the dining room, flopping down on a barstool beside Akuma.
"Mistress..."
He hums as I dig in to my eggs, pleased with the result.
"Hungry."
He grumbles like a child, reaching up to loosely interlock their fingers. Akuma huffs a bit and shoots him a pitiful look.
"Then go out and find something."
She says simply and he shakes his head slowly.
"Haven't eaten. Just enough to get me through a hunt."
He persuades and she sighs as I start on my second egg.
"Only a bit."
She grumbles and he nods eagerly, pulling their connected hands towards him. He situates their arms so her wrist is up and open to him, their fingers still laced. I watch hesitantly from the edge of my vision as he runs his tongue over the veins in her wrist before slowly sinking his fangs in, humming in eager approval. My eyes flick up to Akuma, who has closed her eyes and, to my surprise, releases her own little pained hum. I can't help but stare with wide eyes, my eggs forgotten as my curiosity gets the better of me. Damien only latches on to her wrist for a few moments before letting go, swiping his tongue over the two circles of blood that well up, stopping them completely. Damien shoots me an agitated look and rests his chin on his palm, closing his eyes. Akuma stands still for a moment longer before releasing her breath as if she had been holding it. Her soft pink eyes slide open, dancing with red.
"Connor, it's rude to stare."