XXI

Connor

"Nonetheless, she must pay."
Damien's words startle me a bit but as I watch his reaction I know he is serious. Akuma simply giggles and lightheartedly tosses a muffin to each of us.
"Oh hush, I know you enjoyed it."
Damien gives her a final sideways glance before he settles himself at the table and quietly eats his muffin. Akuma shoots me a small smirk and I smile back, sitting at the table with my muffin in hand. As I am eating Damien clears his throat and crumbles his empty wrapper, turning his gaze to Akuma.
"I've been away from the capital for about a week now, I need to head back soon."
He says casually but Akuma seems interested and raises her brows.
"What is so important for you to return to?"
She questions and he taps his fingers on the tabletop, lowering his eyes.
"I have a job nowadays. Responsibilities of my own."
He explains and she nods, seeming pleased.
"Very good, I'm proud. Something decent I hope...?"
She inquires as I finish my muffin, standing to throw away the liner.
"I work under a family of nobles, they own a large company and I currently work as a personal escort or guard."
He explains and she nods happily, genuinely looking like a proud parent.
"Well this could be a good opportunity, Connor how do you feel about visiting the vampire Capitol city?"
She asks and I raise my brows, blinking a few times.
"It would be alright.."
I hesitantly say and she smiles, turning her gaze back to Damien.
"When do you plan on leaving?"
I watch curiously and Damien shrugs, glancing over to me.
"Within the next two days."
Akuma nods again and turns so both their gazes are settled on me.
"It's settled then? We leave tomorrow?"
I blank under their combined stares but finally manage to nod slowly.
"That should be fine, I guess."
"You're apprehensive."
Akuma points out bluntly and I shrug.
"I mean, I've barely settled here. I have one outfit and have no idea how any of this works. How am I supposed to travel to a vampire-filled city?"
Akuma opens her mouth but Damien interjects, his dark eyes firm.
"I have no doubt that my current masters will allow you to reside at the estate for a few days. That, will be your time to adjust and learn. Away from the city but still in contact with vampires."
Akuma nods along and smiles at me.
"Of course you can still decline,"
"No it's fine."
I say quickly and nod, making up my mind.
"I'm happy to go."

Akuma
We spend the rest of the night packing. I allow Connor into my parent's room once more to find some suitable outfits for him from my father's dresser. Once we are satisfied with the outfits we have chosen, we pack them into a duffle bag I had dug out for Connor. The night is long and dull and drags out for what seems like ages. Connor and I pack our bags with essentials, deciding I will get him more everyday items from the Capitol when we arrive. As the evening draws to a close, the three of us eat a small meal and retreat to our own rooms to settle in for the night. I bathe and change into an oversized nightshirt, settling into my bed. I have just begun to drift off when a soft knock sounds at my door. I force me eyes open and yawn, pushing myself into a sitting position.
"Come in."
I grumble and reach up to rub my eyes as the door creaks open, dropping my hands. Connor stands sheepishly in the doorway, his soft gaze on me.
"What's up?"
I ask quietly and wave my hand at him. He nods and closes the door, stepping hesitantly into the room.
"I just feel... uneasy..?"
I nod and pat the spot in bed beside me, sliding back under the covers.
"C'mere then."
I grumble as his soft footfalls move towards the bed. The bed bows under his weight and I roll over to face him as he settles under the covers, on his side towards me. I fumble for his hand in the dark and interlace our fingers, pulling his hand to rest against my lips.
"Get some sleep, Connor. It will be a long day."
I mumble and he nods slowly, closing his eyes.
"Alright Akuma."
He whispers and I smile, closing my eyes.
"Goodnight Connor."
I whisper, my lips brushing against his knuckles.
"Goodnight Akuma."

The evening arrives far too quickly and I open my eyes, gazing around my dim room. My eyes fall to Connor's peaceful face. A knock on the door interrupts my thoughts and I sit up as Damien opens the door. His gaze moves from Connor to me quickly and his blank eyes hold mine for a long moment.
"Ready to get up?"
He asks bluntly and I nod, waving him off.
"I'll be down in just a moment."
I grumble and he nods, leaving the room and closing the door behind him.
"Connor."
I whisper as I reach over, shaking his shoulder gently.
"Time to get up. Busy day."
I continue on as he groans, fluttering his eyes as they slowly focus on me.
"Ya I guess so."
He mumbles and sits up, stretching. I smile gently and push the covers off, standing up.
"Hurry and get dressed. See you downstairs in ten minutes, Kay?"
He nods and I move to my dresser, listening as he stands and leaves the room. I dress in one of my finer black dresses, curling my hair quickly in the bathroom. Once I am finished I study myself quickly, observing the form-fitting silk top and looser high-low skirt. I run my fingers through my hair once more before slipping on my black heels and making my way downstairs. I move to the kitchen, peeking into the doorway to see Connor at the table in a white button-up with a black jacket. Damien leans against the counter in similar attire except he wears a black button-up and a black tie. Connor finishes whatever was on his plate and moves to set it in the sink, turning his gaze to me.
"Ready to go?"

------------------

Hey guys~ sorry for the single update this week, I have been very busy and tired and hope you will forgive me.