VII

Akuma

The night draws on as we wait for dawn to break. I end up taking a bath while Connor familiarizes himself with the house. The hot water feels good as I sink below the surface in my old bathtub. Despite its age, the manor stays in prestine condition and shows no signs of aging. In my immense free time it is easy to distract myself with the task of keeping this place in top shape. After I have cleaned up, it is hard to pull myself from the comfort of the water, but I do so anyway with a sigh. Approaching the counter, I notice that I forgot a change of clothes and slump my shoulders in irritation. Me eyes fall to the long, thin scar stretched over my lower belly and nausea bubbles in my gut. I force my eyes back to the counter once more before I set to the task of drying my long hair. It takes some time to get is fairly dry and I wrap the towel tightly around myself, moving to the door. I step silently into the hallway and make my way up the stairs quickly.
"Akuma."
Connor calls curiously as he gazes out the front window, back to me.
"Why don't you-"
He begins as he turns around but stops when our eyes meet, his gaze falling momentarily to my towel.
"Go on."
I urge irritatedly, shifting and tightening the towel.
"Uh don't worry about it."
He grumbles and turns his back again, peering out the window. I roll my eyes and continue up the stairs, ducking into my room. After I have dressed in a short sleeve, simple black dress I head back downstairs. Connor sits on the couch nonchalantly, legs stretched out and his head tilted back to rest on the back of the couch. I sit on the other end and watch him for a moment. Although the man has always been quite attractive, his relaxed posture brings out the best. I smile to myself and flip sideway, resting my head on the arm of the couch as I stretch out my legs to lay over his lap. His head snaps up at my touch and he shoots me a look, to which I close my eyes and smile lightly. He sighs softly and lays his head back, ignoring me. I open my eyes once more to watch him, admiring the line of his jaw down to his exposed throat. Hunger gnaws at my belly and I sigh, reaching up to cover my eyes with my forearm.
"My meal yesterday was light... I'll need something on the way to the village."
I grumble and feel his heavy gaze return to my face.
"That is unless you're willing."
I add teasingly and he tenses immediately.
"Kidding."
I grumble but he stays tense, his gaze trained on me.
"You're willing to kill me so easily?"
He asks angrily and I roll my eyes, moving my arm so I can meet his gaze.
"It's doesn't mean killing you, as long as I have enough self control I can stop before you are dead."
I grumble and he raises a brow.
"Then why do most of your kind kill people."
He asks suspiciously and I cover my eyes again, sighing.
"Witnesses aren't good for us."
I state simply and his eyes widen.
"Oh, of course..."
He grumbles, looking away.
The conversation falls silent for a long while and I tilt my head towards the window, peering through to the sliver of the outside world that peeks through the thick velvet.

Connor

Akuma and I sit in silence for a painfully long time before my stomach grumbles loudly. She peeks her eyes at me as she lifts her arm, raising a curious brow. I pout my lower lip slightly and avert my gaze, eliciting a tiny giggle from her.
"Alright, alright. We can head out now. Just a moment."
She comments as she withdrawals her legs from my lap and sets them on the floor, standing. She stretches momentarily before padding to the stairs and silently making her way up. I sigh and push myself to my feet, moving to the front door where I dropped my shoes after my shower. I pull them on as she walks up beside me, now wearing black vans. I straighten and glance at the large black fabric draped over her arm as she reaches past me and opens the door.
"Cmon."
She chirps as she steps outside and hurried down the porch steps, shaking the folded fabric open to reveal the whole piece. To my surprise she wraps the fabric around her shoulders so it falls down the length of the body, tucking her hair within as she pulls up her hood. This girl is wearing a cloak. She must notice I'm not following because she looks back expectantly and raises a brow. I follow quickly and she moves steadily past the wall and into the dark forest. I follow closely as she walks, tripping over unseen things as she walks faultlessly. Eventually she must get tired of it because she grabs my hand and keeps my close, guiding me carefully through the trees. We walk for quite a while before Akuma stops dead in her tracks. I am about to ask what the deal is but she holds up her hand in front of my face, silencing me. I look around, the woods lit by nothing but moonlight. After a few moments of nothing but rustling leaves, a new sound greets my ears. Softly crunching leaves, warning of an approaching person. Akuma turns to me suddenly and pushes at my shoulder, guiding me to a nearby tree and pushes down on my shoulders, so I sit. She gives me a pointed look and crouches in front of me, leaning close enough that her warm breath tickles my ear.
"Close your eyes."
She whispers lowly as she leans back and grasps my hands, guiding them to cover my ears. I look at her in confusion to see that her shadowed eyes are tinted red. My eyes widen in sudden realization. She intends to have her meal. She gazes at me, brows furrowed until I cover my ears harder and allow my eyes to close, dropping my forehead onto my knees as the vampire silently stalks away.