II

Connor

The walk through the forest is long and exhausting. Although the vampire is small, she uses quick strides and practically drags me along. It is also clear that her vision is better than mine because I trip and stumble constantly whereas she makes no slight mistakes in her walking. By the time she pulls me onto a crumbling stone path I am panting. She stops to look back at me, her eyes showing a bit of annoyance. Her breathing is still perfectly even and she seems unfazed by the walk.
"Catch your breath. We only have a moment."
She mutters and holds tight to my wrist as she scans the trees. I heed her advice and steady my breathing before we start moving again, following the path. This time it isn't long before the path widens and gradually becomes more well-kept. All at once, the tree line stops and a long stone wall takes its place.
"Woah..."
I mutter as she continues tugging me along the path and through a tall stone arch. I set my gaze forward again, greeted by a large, dark home. I examine it with surprise and allow her to guide me. She walks up to the dark, wooden front door and swings it open, ushering me in.

Akuma

I open the front door and wave in the human, following behind him as he steps into the entrance hallway. I close the door and guide him to the end of the short hallway that opens up into a living room. His eyes become wide and his heart rate increases slightly as he examines the big room with amazement. The ceilings are tall and flat and the front of the room holds a large window with thick, velvet curtains drawn over it. I motion to the center of the room where a set of vanilla colored furniture and a dark mahogany coffee table.
"You can sit. I don't have much real food but... are muffins okay?"
I ask gently, hoping it will do. He inches towards the large, plush couch, peeking at the matching chairs that sit on either side of the coffee table.
"Muffins sound good."
He says uneasily as he hesitantly sits on the couch. I nod.
"I'll be over in the kitchen."
I inform him, motioning to the adjoined dining room and kitchen, separated by a high granite counter.
"Okay."
He says quietly, eyes anxiously scanning his surroundings. I sigh, watching his expressions carefully. His heart still beats too quickly to be calm, and he is clearly anxious, but who could blame him. He has walked right into the lion's den.
"Try to relax."
I offer, lowering my tone. I sense his eyes settle on me and meet his gaze slowly, releasing all tension from my body and offer my palms in a show of peace.
"As I informed, I've already had my meal and have no intentions of devouring you."
My comment makes him tremble and I sigh, clearly not helping.
"Alright, alright I'll go."
I grumble with irritation. Humans are so troublesome.
I move to the kitchen and begin collecting ingredients. I've only gathered everything onto the counter and pulled out a muffin tin when I sense him coming closer. I continue what I am doing, beginning to measure out things and drop them into a bowl, but follow his movements. He sits at the counter on a bar stool, casually clearing his throat.
"So, ah, why did you bring me here?"
He asks timidly as I continue my task, trying to keep a peaceful aura about me as to keep the calm. I contemplate his question as I grab a bag of chocolate chips and dump some into the bowl, humming with contemplation.
"I suppose... I just felt like it."
I mutter, stirring the contents of the bowl.
"You... felt like it?"
He asks, clearly very confused. I sigh quietly and turn to him, moving to stand on the other side of the counter. I place my elbows on the countertop and cushion my chin in my palm, gazing at him. I let my gaze roam over his features, ignoring his squirming.
"That's right, I just felt like it. I'm not sure exactly why either. It could be attraction..."
I muse as I gaze at him,
"Hunger,"
I add nonchalantly.
"Because you do smell very, very delicious."
He squirms under my gaze, making me grin.
"But, I'm not sure what I feel."
I hum, recalling the discomfort his tears brought about.
"I want to protect you. I want you to smile. I want you..."
I frown at him, totally frozen in place now.
"What a strange feeling."
I mutter as I turn back to my bowl and continue mixing the ingredients together. I can feel his tension clearly in the air and I breathe it in, my predatory side finding a sort of comfort in it. The comfort of a hunter knowing it's prey is well within its reach. But my humane side feels uneasy, perhaps because I knows it's my fault. I drop liners into the tin and watch from the corner of my vision as the human stands and trudges back to the living room. It is clear I have frightened him a bit, but he will get used to my demeanor, if he has time.
I preheat the oven as I fill each tin with the proper amount of batter and put it in the oven. It only takes me a bit to return the ingredients to their own places and wash the few dishes I got dirty.
As I wait for the muffins to cook, I move quietly from the kitchen back to the living room and frown softly.
The human has fallen asleep on the couch, his feet dangling off the side. I frown slightly and move towards him, crouching near his face. His hair cascades loosely over his face, and each breath from his slightly parted lips sends a few strands trembling. He actually looks peaceful, his comfort bringing me a bit of relief. I sigh gently and push myself back to my feet, turning my back to the human that has my heart fluttering.