X

Akuma

We make it back home before the sun has reached the treetops. We walk to the kitchen, an irritating awkwardness settling between us. I motion for Connor to set the bags down, which he does and steps back hesitantly, training his gaze on me.
"If you want to say something say it."
I sigh, setting the bag on the counter and flip off my hood, turning my eyes to him. He nods and releases a sigh of his own, the tension between us relaxing a bit as he plops in one of the chairs at the table.
"I have so many questions... the man? Your arms? He licked you?? And he called you Mistress..."
He rambles quietly and lowers his eyes.
"Your world is so much different from mine so please be patient with me while I figure it out."
He whispers, frowning to himself as he averts his eyes. His lowered, unsure brown eyes spark something in me. In my world he is almost nothing more than a child. He may be strong but he has no faith in himself and seems unwilling to fight where the odds are against him. A dangerous attitude to have around here. I close the distance between us silently, lifting my hands to cradle his chin in my palms. His eyes go wide as he looks up to meet my gaze, which I try to keep gentle and unthreatening.
"I know it will take time to adjust."
I whisper, watching his eyes soften. I can't help but lean down to him, touching my forehead against his. He sits tensely but doesn't protest, so I continue on as I close my eyes.
"But I will help you through it all, alright?"

Connor

Akuma's words linger in the air, encouraging me to relax. I almost want to hug her, because since I began working with my father I have been shown no such kindness. The silence draws on between us as I study her face so close to mine. Her eyes are gently closed in a trusting manner, and her lips are neither bitter nor happy, flat and showing no emotion. Finally she opens her eyes and pulls away, running her thumb over my cheek a final time before turning her back and moves back towards the bags of groceries.
"So, your questions?"
She asks as she begins to take stuff out and put them away.
"Ah, right. Your arms, that was a result of the sun?"
I ask and she nods, holding them out towards me so I can see. They are almost her normal skin tone, just a bit pinker. But like earlier, there is one strip that is fully healed.
"Is that where he licked you?"
I questions as I touch it softly. She pulls her arms away quickly and resumes her task, nodding.
"Yes it is. Speedy healing is a trait of vampires, but our saliva and even more so our blood helps to speed up the healing process of others."
She turns back to me, one of her hands displaying elongated, clawed nails. She offers her normal hand, palm up and looks at me quizzically.
"May I show you?"
She asks quietly and I hesitate before placing my hand atop hers. She flips it to palm-side up and lifts her clawed hand, drawing a shallow line through the center of my palm. I flinch and watch as she stares at my hand as a small line of blood wells up. She waits for just a moment before lifting my hand to her mouth and running her tongue over the line. I tremble at the odd sensation just before she drops my hand back into my lap. I lift it to examine it and to my surprise there is no evidence that it was ever cut.
"Oh wow."
I murmur as she goes back to putting groceries away, her hand returned to normal.
"So, um, the man? Who was he?"
"An acquaintance."
She answer swiftly and smoothly, not hesitating.
"What kind of acquaintance?"
I push which elicits a sigh from her.
"I sort of took him in when he was young and took care of him. He became a sort of apprentice. As for your earlier question, that's one of the reasons he calls me Mistress. Also because our society relies on a strict hierarchy and my position is much higher than his. One that earns me the title of Mistress."
She explains as she finishes stacking some eggs into the fridge, glancing at me from the corner of her vision. I nod thoughtfully as I tuck all this information away, not contemplating it too much as to not be overwhelmed by it.
"So your sort of royalty?"
I question confused and she chuckles, shaking her head. I frown but she continues to patiently explain as I listen.
"Imagine a triangle. In the simplest form our triangle hierarchy holds progenitors at the top, normals below them, half bloods below them, and low class at the bottom. With a bit more detail the triangle becomes the progenitor council at the top, nobles below them, normals below them, then half bloods, than pets and slaves, and at the very bottom lies F class. Now in that triangle, each section holds a smaller version of the hierarchy."
She explains and looks at me, I frown back but nod slowly, trying to understand.
"The progenitor council rules."
She begins slowly.
"They are a group of the strongest and wisest vampires, whom are normally very old. Within them each progenitor has a rank. They are ranked my power. Although there is a king, he usually stays hidden and the council handles most affairs."
I nod slowly, urging her to continue.
"The nobles class is also composed of progenitors, those of which are not in the council. All nobles also have a rank by power, although many share the same rank because they are close in power. All nobles are very strong, so the rank numbers don't get too low. This is my class."
I nod in understanding as she begins to put the bags away, finished with the groceries.
"Below that is normals. These are our citizens, soldiers, and such. Half-breeds are often categorized as low normals as well. As their name says they are half vampire, half human by whatever circumstance. They are rare so often overlooked. Normals are stronger than humans but can't beat progenitors, and rarely have members of the next class."
I frown as she sits at the table across from her, setting her chin in her palm.
"What does that mean?"
I ask shakily and she sighs before continuing.
"The next class consists of pets and slaves. Sadly we have things like this, but it's not as bad as it sounds. Pets and slaves are normally human, but some low class vampires may also fall into the positions."
I stare at her shocked as she lowers her eyes to the table.
"Don't give me that look, it's not the same as how your kind views it. Maids, servants, aids, things of that sort fall under this category. Also humans owned by a vampire. So technically, you fall into this class."

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•
I will be posting another chapter today to make up for my lack of posting and these chapters with less action! Please enjoy!