XIV

Connor

"Damien."
Akuma snarls a low warning at the angry vampire who stares me down, large body poised and ready to fight.
"You know damn well it's true."
He hisses, not breaking eye contact with me.
"Enough."
She snaps and grabs my arm, pulling me too her forcefully. She lets out a small hiss of pain at the action as my hip bumps the counter, standing face to face with the injured girl. She catches and holds my gaze, forcing her hard eyes to soften. Her hand that clings to me is trembling and I frown softly, ignoring the vampire who has begun to rustle around again behind me.
"Connor I will leave it entirely up to you but... he's right, I need food now. So unless you think you can find someone nearby and convince them to come back here with you..."
Her trembling hand worsens and she lowers her eyes, sighing heavily.
"Please give your blood to me."
She whispers, the pain more evident in her voice. I hesitate but nod slowly, drawing her surprised gaze back to me.
"Alright, just not too much."
I whisper and she nods, ushering me too her left side that is uninjured. I move compliantly as Damien takes my place, examining her wound. Akuma reaches up to me, cradling my cheek lightly in her palm to draw my attention and offers a weak smile.
"Stay strong, hm? I'll try to be gentle."
She whispers and straightens her back, moving closer to me. I step forward and lean against the counter so she doesn't have to strain, closing my eyes as her fingers slide down to my neck. I inhale sharply at the feeling of her warm breath washes over my exposed throat, eerily reminiscent of the night we met in the forest. Her patience runs out and she wastes no time in sinking her fangs into the side of my neck, releasing a soft growl. I jump slightly and tense, crying out softly when she digs her teeth in harder due to Damien who now works to patch up her side. She clings to my shoulders as she drinks my blood, releasing soft sighs of contempt and gentle moans of hunger. I force myself to relax, my thoughts becoming a bit fuzzy. Soon Akuma has released me and I am forcing my eyes open, feeling strange and disheveled. Damien is packing up the leftover supplies, drawing my eyes to her wound. It is bandaged well and I sigh in relief, lifting my eyes to Akuma's face. Her eyes are barely open, glowing faintly from her meal. She rocks softly, arms braced roughly against the counter as if to keep herself upright. I offer my shoulder and hold my hand out to her, earning a relieved glance. She leans her head on my shoulder and takes my hand, sighing tiredly.
"Cmon my Mistress."
Damien mutters as he moves to her opposite side and scoops her into his arm, making his way back to the bedroom. I follow shakily and watch as he lays her on the bed on her back, her eyes no longer open.
"She'll be alright, won't she?"
I whisper as Damien moves towards the door and I move to the bed, sitting on the edge near Akuma's feet.
"Of course she will. She just needs rest, time for her body to do all the healing."
He says gently, a tone that sounds strange coming from him. I nod as he leaves the room and sigh, closing my eyes. It seems as if Damien is back in just a moment and is nudging my leg with his foot, encouraging me to open my eyes. I force my heavy eyelids up and lift my gaze to him, mindlessly accepting the drink he offers.
"Cranberry juice."
He explains quietly.
"Good to help when you're low on blood."
I nod and sip the drink until it is gone, surprised that Damien has the patience to wait for me to finish. When I do he trades the glass for a small dark chocolate bar, earning a confused look from me.
"Also good for when your low on blood and energy."
He states as he turns his back, leaving with the glass. I unwrap the chocolate and nibble on it, pleased with its taste. Damien returns before I have finished and continues to wait, moving towards the window to gaze out. Once I have finished he sighs and motions to the bed, crossing his arms.
"It will probably be easiest if you share my Mistress's bed. It's common for your kind anyway, but if she wakes up and needs blood or needs to see you, you will be right nearby."
I nod, groggily, picking out most of the words and he rolls his eyes, sitting at Akuma's desk in the corner.
"Get some sleep, keep her comfortable. I'll keep watch."
I nod and turn, crawling up the bed carefully as to not disturb Akuma. I settle atop the cover and remembering the night before, find her limp hand beneath the covers and lift it to my chest, settling it delicately over my heart.
So she knows I'm here.
I decide pleasantly to myself and close my eyes, giving in to the sleep that has fought to take over.

Akuma

I startle awake with a gasp, jerking from the terrors that had filled my nightmares.
"Relax."
A soothing, smooth voice reaches my ears and I search the room for the source, my eyes falling upon my past apprentice who sits in the dark, slivers of light cast upon the wall through the heavy curtains. I exhale slowly and calm myself, a bit startled at the apparent loss of my left arm. I turn my gaze to find that Connor resides beside me, my hand cradled to his chest like I had his. His heart beats strong and steady under my fingertips, bringing me comfort. I smile to myself and close my eyes, finding myself easily lulled back into the clutches of sleep.
"Rest well, Mistress."
Damien whispers comfortingly, widening my smile.
"Thank you."
I whisper, a final wave of exhaustion pulling me from consciousness.