XXIV

Akuma
The guest room is quite spacious, 15 by 15 feet perhaps? The walls are a pale grey, the plush carpeting a much darker, cold grey. Connor examines the room in awe as I meander around, admiring the dark cherry dresser, nightstand, and bed-frame. The bed itself is dressed with a black comforter, matching the drapes, and when I run my hand over it and it's obviously silk. I wander to the far wall where a door is located, peering into the bathroom. There is an old fashioned peg-leg tub and a glass stand in shower, a double vanity against the opposite wall, and of course a toilet. I step back out as Connor sets the bags down and examines the king bed. I smile a bit before moving to the closet, it is slightly smaller than the bathroom and contains row after row of empty shelves and hanging racks. I close the door, pleased with the amazing room and turn to see that Connor is watching me expectantly. I smile and motion about with my hands.
"Quite amazing, isn't it?"
I ask and he nods eagerly, awe shining in his warm-chocolate eyes. I can't help but admire him for a moment before averting my eyes with a soft sigh. I move to sit at the foot of the bed, watching as he clasps his hands behind his back.
"The Masters of the home wish to speak with me, so we will stay contained for now. Tomorrow we will be more free to explore and go out and do stuff, okay?"
I brief and he nods compliantly, his eyes wandering the room.
"As for your behavior,"
His eyes fall back to me at my words, curiosity taking over his swirling orbs.
"You've done well. There are certain standards for those of your position and it will be beneficial for you to know and act within those standards, although I'll keep them loose for you."
He nods slowly so I continue, arranging my words carefully.
"You won't leave my side unless told otherwise, and you will treat everyone with the utmost respect. If anyone insults you, you cannot defend yourself and there will be no talking back or speaking without being spoken to."
I release a small sigh, watching his brow dip in confusion.
"Rules for the lower class are strict, I'm sorry you must abide by them."
I mutter and he forces his lips into a thin smile, shaking his head softly.
"It will be alright. I'm just glad to be here and happy to know the culture."
He says politely, drawing a smile to my lips.
"There you go."
I purr quietly, watching him smile back sheepishly. He unclasps his hands and sits beside me on the bed, releasing a sigh as his eyes wander the room. A soft knock sounds on the door and a lift my brows, watching as Connor pushes himself back to his feet.
"Come in."
I call as I stand, the door opening quietly. Kanae steps in smoothly, the very image of grace as she bows low and smiles.
"I'm sorry to disturb Mistress,"
She coos sweetly, continuing without hesitance.
"My Masters have asked if you require a cot for the ward."
She informs and I shoot Connor a sideways glance, his expression neutral.
"That is unnecessary."
I conclude simply. Kanae smiles and nods, eyeing Connor curiously.
"Alright, Mistress. The Masters are finished with their business and would like to request your presence."
I nod, glancing at Connor.
"Alright, sounds lovely."

Connor

Kanae, if I recall her name correctly, leads us back to the main floor and down a separate hallway, the entirety of the interior composed of white and black marbled floors, the walls adorned with art and photographs that I do not recognize. She opens the door of a large office, the floor carpeted in lush deep brown, the walls covered entirely by shelf after shelf of books. In the center back of the room sits a grand mahogany desk, a matching chair with red upholstery. Two chairs sit facing the desk, likely for small meetings. Mr. And Mrs. Knight are seated in the absolute center of the room, a matching couch, love-seat, and two chairs sitting in a large oval with a coffee table in the center. Damien stands behind the Knights, who are seated in the two individual chairs, eyeing me unsurely. I lift a brow but comply as Kanae ushers us into seats, sitting beside Akuma on the couch. Tea is poured before us yet again and I watch Akuma lift the ceramic teacup to her lips, sipping delightedly.
"Ms. Dragnon, thank you for joining us again."
Mrs. Knight says smoothly, smiling sweetly.
"The pleasure is mine."
Akuma replies politely, returning the same kindness. Mr. Knight clears his throat, drawing my attention to him. Now that I have a moment to study him, he is well-build and undoubtedly strong. He has medium length, slick black hair pushed back from his eyebrows and green eyes that shine dangerously. On the other hand, his wife is petite and beautiful, her bleach blonde hair falling elegantly to her waist. Her eyes are a dazzling blue that hold surprising warmth.
"We are obviously taking up your precious time,"
Mr. Knight excuses, very straightforward.
"We have a bit of a gift for you, to express out gratitude for visiting after such a long time away. We are honored to house such a ranked noblewoman."
Akuma waves them off modestly, coming off as a bit bashful.
"Oh that's entirely unnecessary-"
Akuma pauses when Mr. Knight waves off a maid. I watch her skitter away and it's only a moment before the door creeps open and the maid has returned with said "gift".
A man follows behind the maid, dressed in no more than a pair of black slacks. The man wears a black bow around his neck, his black hair ruffled just a bit and his electric blue eyes holding steady to Akuma's blank gaze.
"I figured it was a while since you had such a fine meal,"
Mr. Knight purrs, seeming proud of himself.
"So I have found you the finest."