nights § twelve

The sound of the driver's side door slamming shut woke me up, my eyes slowly opening. "Wake yo' ass up." Darryn greeted me as he started the car up. I didn't have the energy to roll my eyes so instead I adjusted the passenger's side seat a bit more and relaxed into it. The air conditioning blew out of the vents at its best capacity, cooling me off from the heat I received during the half hour I was waiting on him. He nudged my arm while connecting his phone to the Bluetooth thing in the car, his favorite Soundcloud playlist already going. I kissed my teeth, opening my eyes to look at him.

"Wake up." He repeated, his thumb hastily moving across his phone's screen. I didn't feel like giving him an attitude at the moment. I just wanted to nap. In the two weeks I've known him that's all I seemed to do. I started work at that dry ass pharmacy earlier this week and they had me working crazy hours which had me even more tired than usual.

I let out a loud yawn, stretching my arms out in front of me and popping my neck and knuckles. I watched him sit on his phone for another two or three minutes before I made a face. "You gon' pull off or....?" I trailed, patting my own pockets for my phone. He didn't answer but I could see he was deciding on a song to play. I don't know why it took him so long. All he had to do was click the good ol' shuffle button and go about his day but nope.

I checked my phone screen for the time. 10 minutes until 6. "Can we hurry? I have to clock in at 6:15. You know this." I stressed while still watching him. He didn't respond yet again for a few seconds before I saw that he finally decided on something to play. Some ass Soundcloud rapper. That's all we listen to.

He finally pulled out of the driveway of the home we were at and sped off, reminding me to put my seatbelt back on. He was one of those drivers you can't chance it with. I listened to him rap along while I scrolled through my different feeds. Nothing big happening. Nothing interesting either. I had to force myself to scroll past a couple of Clarence's posts because I noticed I'd linger for a few seconds on whatever he had going on. I had too much pride to admit I kind of missed him. Only because I knew he wasn't thinking about me. I won't even admit that I thought about him about 4 times a day. If we're using a good estimate.

Him and Darryn were so similar too. Both rappers. Both with them same fucking slugs in their mouth 24/7. Same cockiness and attitude. I hated it. I would find myself comparing the two often. I'd always think about who was better at what and who was lacking in a different area. Darryn wasn't light skin which was a plus. He was also taller than Clarence. He wasn't the best at head but I mean who doesn't need a little bit more practice?

Clarence on the other hand— I didn't even want to get into all that. I've been trying to limit my thinking of him. It was weird. He didn't give a damn about me so why should I care about him or what he was doing?

We rode in silence except for the music he was playing. I stared out the window while he drove. I grew a bit more irritated when the car started slowing and I noticed we were in a neighborhood nowhere near my job. "What- why we stopping now?" I questioned, a frown on my face. He didn't respond. Instead he sat on his phone for another 5 minutes or so before getting out of the car, leaving it running and me even more irritated. I should really drive off with this bitch right now.

I sat, sighing and checking my phone every few minutes. He finally returned, a grin on his face. It dropped when he saw the frown on mine. He shut the door, looking out the rear view mirror and began backing out.

"What's wrong with you now man?" He questioned, impatience evident in his voice. I didn't say anything back. I just sat back, staring out the window with my arms crossed over my chest. I couldn't wait to get rid of this bum ass dude.