you should try it § eleven

I let out a breath as I straightened the button down shirt I had tucked into my jeans and doing a once over in the mirror. I checked my face for any mistakes before slipping my phone in my back pocket. I was going to Uber to that pharmacy interview because I didn't wanna bother Dee this early in the morning. My good sis was going to go off to college in August and that's all she was stressing about. I didn't want to remind her that she had did this same shit last year after I graduated and didn't even go to the college she got accepted into. She just kept ranting to me about how she wanted to be something and make her mama proud. That's cute.

I was exhausted as well, I had only got 3 hours of sleep max. The air conditioning was fucking up in my room so I left the house at 1 something to just walk around outside. The breeze was better than my hot ass room. I didn't even come back in until about 4 and didn't go to sleep until 7 this morning. I told myself to get some rest but here I am, dark ass bags under my eyes and shit. I honestly didn't even want to go anyways. It's Sunday. Who the fuck gives interviews on a Sunday? And I didn't want to deal with grannies and their medications all day. The only reason I was doing this shit was for my mom to be quiet about me being jobless. It's the least I could do.

I listened for a car pull up outside as I made my way down the stairs. Instead, my phone vibrated in my back pocket. I grabbed a bottle of water out of the pantry, taking a sip and checking my phone's notifications. A few post notifications and snaps. A couple of direct message responses as well as some a few texts. The only one that caught my eye above the others was none other than Clarence. I rolled my eyes, reading it purposely before locking my screen back.

C. 🖤
what you doin?

As soon as I placed my phone on the counter, I got another notification, letting me know my Uber driver had arrived. I put my water in the fridge and grabbed my keys off the hook by the door before leaving out.

» » »

"I thought you said you was coming after yo' interview?" I shrugged, stepping past the threshold and into his apartment. It smelled like man in here. Like cologne and a mix of weed? Like grown ass man, you know?

"It's after my interview." I stated, slipping the ankle boots I borrowed from my mom off my feet and leaving them next to the front door. I looked around, analyzing the place. A couch placed in the middle of the living room along with a big ass television hanging up on the wall. Some bookshelf was up against the far wall, the only things inside the shelves was some little plant and a couple framed pictures with no picture inside. It's crazy how I was expecting his home to look like this too.

"That was fast." He said from behind me. I nodded, plopping down on his couch. "Damn, make yourself at home then." He chuckled. I picked at a burn on the arm of the couch, checking my phone before looking at him. "What you been up to?" I asked, still looking around the living room. "Nothing. Working." He simply responded, going into the kitchen area.

"Working? On?" I questioned, sitting up straighter and looking over the back of the couch to him in the kitchen. "Stuff. Business." He chuckled, looking at me through the dreads that had fallen over his face. I rolled my eyes, watching him fiddle with something on the countertop. "What you wanna do?" He asked. I shrugged, leaning into the couch cushions. "You told me to come over." I recalled. He hummed, continuing to do whatever he was doing in the kitchen.

"You know what I called you over for though." I rolled my eyes and nodded. "Okay then why you scared to say it? You grown." I snapped, on my phone.

"Excuse me, shit." He apologized from the kitchen. I frowned, feeling bad and sitting up straight. "My bad. I'm tired." I admitted, lifting my wig up to scratch the back of my head. Them two hours of sleep didn't do shit for me. I was about to doze off at my interview. The only thing stopping me from doing so was the constant questions I was given. It kept me somewhat awake.

I heard him finish whatever he was doing and flick the light switch off. The light went off and left the whole apartment dimmed. All his blinds were shut and it was a cloudy day out today which made the room even more dark. I listened to the sound of a lighter being switched on followed by the smell of burning cigar and weed. I closed my eyes as he sat besides me on the couch, smoking the blunt. "This a wig, right?" He asked after five minutes of silence. I opened my eyes halfway, looking at him and nodding.

"So if I pull that shit-" he stopped to let smoke out of his mouth. "It's gon' come right off?" He finished, causing me to let out a little laugh. "I guess." I answered, closing my eyes back. I felt him tug at the ends before I drifted off to sleep.