Chapter 1

August 2018

"You're going in that?" Allison frowned, sitting on my bed, while she sipped from her can of pre-mixed Peach Schnapps and lemonade, watching as I pulled the bottom half of my play suit up my legs.

"What's wrong with it?" I mirrored her frown, looking down at my black and gold playsuit. I liked the gold leaf print and the capped sleeves not to mention the fact it had pockets!

"I mean it's nice," My best friend responded, "but it's not very 'club-y'," She air quoted as I simultaneously cringed at the word.

"Well I don't have anything more 'club-y' so it'll have to do. I thought my clubbing days were over," I huffed pulling on my black ankle boots.

"Can't you wear heels?" She whined as she shimmied off the bed, unable to move more freely due to the tightest dress known to man restricting her movement. She may as well have been naked since her red bodycon dress left nothing to the imagination. The dress, teamed with her platinum blonde curls and baby blue eyes added up to my best friend being a knock out. Me on the other hand? Not so much. I had a pretty decent figure, could probably have done with losing a few pounds but since I would never be seen dead in a bodycon dress, I could live with it. At 5'6" I was shorter than Allison's model height of 6', but my brown locks complimented her blonde, my fire complimented her heart and my loyalty, though I might currently have called it stupidity, complimented her partying.

At twenty six I thought my clubbing days were long gone. Give me a cosy night in with Netflix and a bag of Malteasers and I would be happy. Tonight, Allison had other ideas. Tonight, to celebrate her new promotion, she'd decided we were going to some club I'd never heard of, to get wasted and party.

Great.

"Heels are a male invention designed to make a women's butt look smaller . . . and to make it harder for them to run away," I grin.

"Oh shut up," Allison laughed at my nerdy need to quote films and passed my can to me. "Drink up. Taxi will be here soon."

I grimaced as I chugged down the warm cocktail left in the bottom of the can. Another reason this was not my scene, I hated alcohol. I'd yet to find an alcoholic drink I liked the taste of. I could stomach cider, and I enjoyed a cocktail, but where some people were gin drinkers or whiskey drinkers, I'd just rather have a cup of tea. Allison had bought the cheap, pre-mixed cocktails from the supermarket as pre-drinks and was intent on downing them like they would soon be out of fashion.

"Oh for crying out loud," I huffed as Allison came out of the kitchen, heels clicking across the wooden floor, and passed me another can, just as I had finished the first.

"The only way this night will work is if you're drunk before you get to the club. Drink up, taxi will be here in 2 minutes."

I grimaced as I started sipping from the new can, this one going down slightly easier now that I was used to the taste of the alcohol.

"I'm excited," Allison buzzed as she danced around my living room. The effects of the four cans she'd already drank, clearly hitting her. "We've not had a night like this in ages," She squealed with delight.

"For good reason," I laughed, pulling my leather jacket on. "We're too old for this" I rolled my eyes while I pulled my hair out from the collar.

"I'm only twenty five!" Allison laughed. "We're still plenty young enough."

"I'll put money on us being the oldest ones in this club. It'll be full of sixteen year olds with fake I.D" I swallowed the last mouthful of the can, taking it and the empty pizza boxes from our dinner into the kitchen. My one bedroom flat was modest. It had been a large Victorian house that had been carved up by a renovater and made in to four one bedroom flats. I had a ground floor flat that consisted of an entrance hallway with a bathroom leading off it, a living room across from the bathroom and at the end of the wide hallway was the door to the kitchen/diner and a door to my bedroom. It wasn't much, and it cost me a pretty penny in rent each month, but with it's hardwood floors and it's high ceilings it was home and I loved it.