Chapter Eighty-Five

I see Sultan Raharjo off to the docks, where a grand ship waits. Mawar sees to her sister, Nana, and her toddling niece, smiling and showering me in praise for ending the war.

            Harto, on the other hand, can only smile thinly.

            "So, it was just a political match after all, was it?"

            I shrug, staring over his shoulder at the waves crashing against the hull of the Jiwanese ship. It's easier than staring into his sorrowful eyes. "You were never mine to marry. You belong to your land and seas. To the volcano spirits and your betrothed, Nyi Roro Kidul, queen of the seas who gave you..."

            I force my eyes to latch back onto his, running my fingertips along his handprint scar. "She owns you. I never could."

            "Yes, well..." He pauses, staring down at my hand. With great effort, he clasps it indifferently within his, a soldier's grip. A Rahasian grip. "Perhaps we'll meet again, Princess Arnina. Or should I soon call you Empress?"

            A show of friendship.

            "You'll be a great leader, Sultan Raharjo." I reply, smiling in return, clasping his hand tighter.

            He nods, his dark eyes betraying little. "As will you."

            He turns around then, and as the ship goes away, Mawar's sister waving on the docks beside me, I believe I see a figure dancing in the waves.

            She's wearing a batik cloth in royal blue, gemstones clasping it at her hips and neck. Long, dark hair flows down her shoulders. Eyes the same color of the seas. She grins at me and waves her hand in greeting.

            I wave at her in return.

            "I believe you just won the admiration of Nyi Roro Kidul, putri." Mawar's sister, Nana, tells me, clutching her little girl to her breast. "That's considered good luck if you ever decide to travel the seas. Your Empire's trade should be good for the future. Wealthy."

            I place my thumb to Nana's child's hand, watching as the little girl beams at me with newly budding teeth. "No, the only future that matters is hers. I'm only helping to secure it."

            We turn back to the ship, watching as it recedes with Nyi Roro Kidul in the distance.

            Watching as the waves ebb from the shore, and time itself stands still.

***

Readers,

The ship has sailed... away.

-Sophia