Chapter Sixty

"This is it. This is the temple of the old Jiwanese gods." I all but whimper as we struggle up the final temple steps.

Zahra lets loose a low, long whistle as we take it in. Giant pillars upholding a roof of stone curved like a ship taken from the sea itself. Archways cut like squares that reflect the endless blue sky, a mirror into infinity. Recreations of multiple statues of the old Jiwanese gods, standing like an army overlooking all of Jiwa. Yet, I only recognize two straightaways.

One bears the demon mask of Rangda, forked tongue and limp, dark black hair that covers her eyes. Her figure is smashed and burned, yet still, I feel her stare from the damaged figure. Then I see her, Harto's betrothed deity. Rising from graceful waves is Nyai Loro Kidul, the sultan's prospective bride. She wears a seafoam batik dress of green and bears a gold crown that flowers like fruit above her dark curls.

            "She's lovely." Zahra remarks, looking between the two of us. "You know, she somewhat looks like you. It isn't a wonder why Harto fancies you."

            Face burning, I smack her halfheartedly on her right arm. She rubs the left one, pretending not to have felt it. "Oh, did a gnat bite me?" She raises an eyebrow, and I can't help but erupt into a giggle fit. "You can't blame me for noticing the bratty king has a type."

            "Come on." I set my knapsack on the ground, pulling out bunches of rambutan and the remains of a freshly slaughtered goat. "We have to give this to the Jiwanese gods and get their message or blessing to seek the witch doctor's name." I sigh, stretching my arms out as Zahra takes over for me. "I'd like to go home before the sun sets."

            "And why's that?" Zahra asks, her shoulder brushing against mine as I move to help her with her task. I feel sore from all the walking, but what can I do? My life means nothing if others will lose their lives because of my inaction. Even forgiven by Zahra, I cannot forgive myself. It will take many years to heal from this burden.

            "What if it gets cold at night?"

            Zahra winks at me, pulling a blanket from her bag. "Then we share this." She peers out in the distance, at the sun that glides without a care in the world on the horizon. "And we wait for the gods of Jiwa to speak to us."

            "And if they hate us?"

            "Oh, amira,"she chuckles softly to herself, "then you'll find some way to take them down, won't you?"

            It is at that moment, while pondering what it'd be like sharing a blanket with my much taller bodyguard, that something moves. One of the larger statues higher up the steep, stone steps, moves its heavy head. It slinks like a lion, a heavy mane folded beneath the weight of a silver crown. An armored shield upon its back, running with plates down its heavy spine. The creature unleashes a roar that shakes me to my core.

And with that, it begins to move towards us, making an entrance as only a god could do.

***

Readers,

Any of you have a favorite magical creature in this series so far?

Best

Sophia