Chapter Sixty-Two

We rush back into the main reception room of the kraton. Harto sits atop his throne, surrounded by gifts, and watching a set of dancers with fluid movements pad along the floor in bare feet, veils strung along their arms and around their waists.

He waves them away instantly, seeing the mix of fear and awe on my face.

"Please, we require privacy."

Everyone. Every Jiwanese courtier, noble, and visitng diplomat. Even the servants, save for Harto's most trusted bodyguards, rushes to exit the room.

When the last feasting guest leaves, it's almost entirely silent, save for his guards.

"You found something." He beams, running forwards and taking the piece of parchment I'd infused with Barong's name. A parting gift from the god to me. He unrolls it, carefully, and squints at the curling print.

After another moment's hesitation, he looks up. Dark eyes piercing, hoop earrings glinting against a curtain of dark hair. His birthmark pales against his skin, the flesh there burning. A mark. A sign of the old gods' powers. "Are you quite sure?"

I nod my head. "If not, then I still have one guess left." I swallow, running my fingers along my throat. "And, if ultimately, I fail..." I exhale, shakily. "Then you can cut off my head. Just like you threatened to do with my uncle, the diplomat Boaz."

Zahra rushes forwards, as though to protect me from Harto. She draws her weapon, and every guard within the room answers in kind. The look on Zahra's face is one set to kill. The look on Harto's is that of a man who, himself, is dying.

"Putri..." He licks his lips, shaking his head and nervously wringing his hands together. "Arnina." He breathes, the words softer. He reaches out to touch my face, but Zahra and the heavy stares of his guards proves a suitable barrier. Instead, he searches me with his eyes. Prodding, terrified. "You couldn't possibly expect me to honor that."

"Honor it." I all but gasp, regretting my bravado. Praying that my own, Rahasian gods would accept me into their care. Hoping I haven't angered them too much. "I have my gods to return to, just as you must reconcile with yours." I grin, the smile false, but an act all the same. "I'll just be about fifty years too early."

Zahra and Harto turn to me, their eyes seeing me as though I was already dead.

In some ways, if Barong's guidance proved wrong...

Perhaps I already am.

***

Readers,

Hope that was sufficiently thrilling!

Sorry for missing an update yesterday. I had to deal with some private matters, and I needed some time to focus on that and rest.

I'm healing up though! I'll aim to write ahead for the week to keep the updates going.

Best

~~~Sophia ~~~~