Chapter Fifteen

​"You got fired?"

​Kura, spiky hair and heavy metal piercings covering the majority of her face, stares up at Sol with eyes like steel.

​Former General Soleil, bruised-and-battered to the squadron's surprise, looks extremely cowed. She bows her head, even though she's taller than her wife's petite frame. "I thought you were in danger." Sol's mumbling now, all scared.

​Kura takes one of the practice dummies and starts throwing knives at it. Every blade makes a solid thunk as it pierces the poor dummy's heart.

​"Do I look like I'm some damsel in distress? I used to work the streets, robbing people. Bodoh, you idiot!" Kura taps her foot impatiently, waiting for an answer.

It's then they notice an audience in their couple's quarrel.

Namely, an audience of me, Tawil, and Pari.

​Sol glances back with a face like murder.

​"Oh shit..." Tawil mumbles, reaching for his flask. "Shit, who took my liquor?"

​Pari burps, smelling slightly of wine. "Don't know, sweetheart."

​Saban rushes in then, bowing hurriedly, taking the two troublesome boys by the scruff of their necks. "I'll escort them out right away, General.... Erm, I mean, Soleil."

​I stay put. Kura sighs, standing on her toes to point angrily at Sol. "We'll discuss your exile once we return to Raja. Where you, my darling bodoh, will be milking and feeding the goats for the next year!"

​Sol sighs, nodding her assent. "Yes, joon-am, my soul." She swivels on her heel to face me. "I suppose you want to say goodbye."

​I nod, step forwards. Pause awkwardly.

​Sol opens her arms. "Come here."

​I run into them, a rush of words spilling out of me as the older warrior woman, my truest mentor, gathers me up into a hug.

"I'm sorry. It was all my fault. I'm such an idiot, a h'mar. I'm a donkey who doesn't deserve to have ever known you. If I had just killed the witch doctor before he hurt almost everyone in the patrol. If I had just managed to somehow cover for you to father. If I didn't decide to go along and play hero..."

​"Princess," Sol starts. Something in her voice makes me stop, lean back, and look up at her. Eyes flashing, dark braids pulled back from her face. "I think you know I'm not one for flowery words. So, can you do something for me?"

​"Anything."

​She laughs, ruffling my hair like a kid. "Kick ass."

​With that, she turns around, taking Kura's arm gently in her own. Her battle-axe hangs at her side. A weapon. Thus, goes Soleil, the demigod daughter of Cato, the god of war. The one who murdered the leader of the Lunes. The girl who fought at a pirate's side and ultimately stole his legend. There goes General Sol, the one who taught me how to fight. The one who taught me I wasn't indebted to anybody, man or god. The one who taught me to take pride in victory or defeat. And lastly...

​There goes Sol. My friend.

***
Readers,

Aww. If you could pick a character and befriend them, who would you befriend?

-Sophia