Chapter Forty-Two

"Yes," he sighs, fiddling with his earrings again. "I am to be married to Nyi Roro Kidul, queen and goddess of the sea." He holds his hand over his face, hiding the scar. "This marking was a gift from the volcano spirits, from when I acted... rashly, as an adolescent. Speaking frankly, I ran around, seduced out of spite, not love." He releases his hair, further shadowing his face. "I used people. It's only fitting that the gods used me. Reminded me that I am here to serve my people, and not the other way around."

"I'm sorry," I still can't get over this.Sure, Ode Ngayoh was technically a mortal when she fell in love with Kane. Yet, that was her choice. But I'd never heard of an arranged marriage between a mortal king and a goddess. "You're going to marry her, and she's going to live in the kraton with you then?" I try to envision a goddess of the seas, tall as a tree with hair as actual ocean waves down her back. I fail to imagine any more out of fear.

"My soul belongs to her." He laughs again, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. "My boring mortal shell is free for political matches and whatever maneuvering my court decides for me. Heirs, the kingdom needs heirs." How sad, I muse, staring out over the flowers as Mawar bends to admire a blossoming assembly of orchids. How sad that nothing of this man belongs to himself. But, he made a mistake. He used people, and now he's growing to learn the price of that.

It reminds me of someone else I know who thought that people all belonged to her. A selfish little princess, perhaps, who ran out to the village of her general because she foolishly believed that the poor woman would never want to retire with her wife out in a village. A little girl who played at war without knowing what the true cost of war really was, before seeing the riots and the innocent hurt by them.

"Your uncle, Boaz, he's alright, you know. We treat him well, unless you renege on your promises to help us execute the witch doctor and aid our Jiwanese people abroad."

It reminds me, painfully, of the same deal I struck with Mawar earlier today, telling her about the wellbeing of her sister. "And what do you want in return for that information?"

"Perhaps a dance, perhaps more." He teases, or at least, I hope he teases. There's still a flirt in him yet.

Somewhat flustered, I growl my next response. "Why are youhere then?" I decide it is time that someone turn the question on him. Everybody keeps asking me that. It's his turn now.

He nods to the flowers at his pouch, grinning wryly. "I was just picking flowers for my grandmother. What's your excuse?" He winks at my obvious embarrassment. "If you wanted to meet me so badly, you could have arranged different circumstances, Princess Arnina."

"If I had the witch doctor, the Dukun's name, then I wouldn't have to be here at all. Does anyone in your entire kingdom have any clues to his name?"

I can practically see him bite back all the snide replies in answer to my question. Instead, he does something that impresses me at this court. He acts sincerely. "My grandmother is the oldest woman in this kingdom. It's why I respect her so much. She grew up with the old ways, before everything became blended. Tradition and religion. Our faith is Islam, but to coexist with centuries of culture and festivals. To understand even you Rahasians, with your Empire's worth of alternate knowledge. To know Okami, Idriola, and Akua. Well, that's a tricky thing to navigate."

"What do you believe then, Sultan Raharjo?"

He smiles at me, picking another moon flower and twirling it on its stem. He hands it to me, and I tuck it beside my dagger. "I believe in one truth but am open to learning of the many secrets hidden within this world." He picks up a small beetle, lifting it to join it with others beside a small sapling. "You can call me Harto here. Nobody really sees us in the garden."

If nobody sees, then that's a truly dangerous thing.

"Arni." I reply, outstretching my hand to clasp his, more like a warrior than anything. He accepts, looking me straight in the eyes.

"Well, Arni, I believe we have some flowers to deliver, yes?" He turns to Mawar, nodding his head. "Mawar, prepare my grandmother to receive visitors. Now. Sekarang."

I raise an eyebrow at that. "Prepare her?"

"Ah, yes, I forgot to tell you." He sighs, a slight smirk struggling to remain on his face for etiquette's sake. "Time hasn't left her unscathed. She's quite possibly lost her mind."

I swallow, seeing the nervousness flicker in Mawar's eyes, wondering if that's meant for me or her. "All the better to see her then."

***

Readers,

Hm, banter, banter. Garden setting. I see you.

Your ships are safe with me! (Mostly) 

-Sophia