Chapter Thirty-Six

We traveled by foot through a thicket of lush greenery. I laid eyes on more plants than I'd ever seen in my lifetime in a desert city, the air hot with a different kind of heat. A heat that smelled sweetly and clung to your skin, snatched with long fingers at your hair. Chattering, humanoid creatures, all manner of orangutan and bright-feathered birds watched our march through the brush. We passed through multiple villages of houses that either rose above the tree line on stilts or masked themselves behind the palms. People we met everywhere were congenial and possessed kindness that I hadn't known in the brash environment of Rahasia, where it seemed everybody in the trade city of home was out to skin you.

"It's almost like there isn't a threat of war brewing." Zahra remarks, after we bear well wishes and trade gifts for the hospitality we receive in a rest house.

I break away from the embrace of an old woman, remarking favorably upon my hair, comparing Rahasian fashions and embroidered hemlines to the local batik, and promising me a free gift of a bolt of cloth if I returned. I look at the kind eyes of the people, the wide smiles of children. Still, I cannot forget the riots at home. The unrest brewing because of a certain monster who wants me to guess his name before his goddess releases him from his reign of terror. "There will be no war." I tug my belt back over my waist. It feels looser than when our ship landed on the island kingdom. Must have sweated it all off. "I refuse to put these people or my own in the path of danger."

Zahra watches me with her clay-colored eyes. I admire her shaved hair, the zig-zagging pattern cut into her hairline. It must be so cool, kept from sweat. I have to resort to a tight bun that falls loose in the damp. "You've grown, amira."

I flush beneath her prospecting gaze. "I'm not sure what you're talking about."

But I have my suspicions of what she meant.

***

Sultan Hartono Bambang Raharjo, the great protector of the Jiwanese lands and its favored children, resides in a complex of a styled keraton, or mighty palace. Mawar lowers her gaze when we pass into the reception room.

"You are not allowed into certain areas of the palace, putri." Mawar whispers, Zahra and I respectfully lowering our gazes to copy her actions. "They are sacred only to our people."

"That which is sacred to your people, will be sacred to ours." I respond, shifting to hide my weapons, as I feel they are too aggressive in such an environment. I hope Papa Ryu would be proud of me for doing that. He often laments I act too brashly, like Elio.

The reception room is open air, upheld by pillars of lacquered wood. A lavish pile of luxurious gifts stands at the side, telling of other diplomats. Boaz's gift, a replica of the known world carved in gold, joins other gifts. Giant glass vases from Okami. Gemstones and jewelry from Idriola. Holy weapons and rare seeds from Akua.

I hold the gift we'd brought for this visit. A golden mirror, mimicking that of Ode Ngayoh, her mighty Diviner weapon. I personally didn't want to use it, but it seemed fitting. I'm grateful for the mirror now, looking at my reflection and trying to fix myself to be presentable as possible. Musicians playing gamelan, bell-like instruments of ornate metalwork, greet our entrance. Dancers with gold circlets piled atop their head beam at us, and a servant hands Zahra and I refreshments of a bittersweet smelling drink, almost medicinal and steaming hot.

I take it and sip from it, rolling the taste around in my mouth. "Turmeric, ginger, fennel, palm sugar, and citrus fruits. It is jamu, putri, a drink prepared for your welcome." Mawar whispers to me, watching tentatively for our reaction. "For your health."

I down it in one swallow, the liquid burning my throat as it goes down. Zahra does the same. Drinking the scalding liquid all at once might not have been the best idea considering the heat. When the mighty Sultan enters the space, I have to blink back tears as his vision swims before me. Perhaps there's something to the elixir after all, fire igniting my insides. Forcing me to a brave stand as the Sultan gestures for me to meet him.

Luckily, thanks to Ryu's family Diviner gift of seeing through illusions, my vision eventually clears. The Sultan, he's an imposing figure. Towering even over Zahra, with a giant's shoulders and eyes that burn with fury. He looks to be Elio's age, and of a stature even more intimidating than a golem's. But... something isn't right...

The Sultan is hiding behind a mask, but this mask isn't physical.

It's magic.

***

Readers,

ARNI: What happens next? Wait, I have to know. Author, help!

ME: Um... lol, good luck.

-Sophia