Chapter 3: Poems and Shopping

Poems and Shopping:

Mr. Delagore entered the noisy classroom of girls and set down his briefcase and coffee on his desk. His shaggy brown hair looked darker and bags under his eyes were very noticeable.

"Alright ladies, settle down," he spoke outloud,"Did you all finish your poems?"

Everyone nodded.

"Good, would anyone like to volunteer to read theirs aloud? No? How about you Miss Riccardi?"

I looked up from my poem which I was rereading quietly,"Me?"

"Yes, please read your poem to the class."

"Oh...okay," I looked back at my poem,"It's entitled Must. Must life has it's endings, must life has it's beginnings. Most would say yes, but must we listen to most?" I looked up,"That's it."

"Good job, now let's analyze Nailah's poem class, firstly what do you think she means by must?"

A girl with black hair and green highlights raised her hand,"I believe Nailah means that do things have to be set in stone."

"Yeah," another girl added,"I think she's trying to say something about rebelling..."she trailed off.

"No," I replied,"What I'm trying to convey in this poem is that must, that should we as human beings be subjected to must? Maybe life dosen't begin or end with a certain event or place, it just continues to play on and on. Just because the majority of people go against something dosen't mean that you as an individual should. Because mutants are looked down upon must we..."I shut myself up before I could finish.

"Must we what?" Mr. Delagore stepped from behind his desk, leaned on it and crossed his ankles.

A bleach blonde girl spoke up,"Mutants are disgusting, nasty creatures that are unnatural so we must kill them to protect ourselves."

"Correct Miss Talancy, we must as a community bring down these mutants. So Miss Riccardi must should sometimes not be questioned for example, if a person is bleeding on the side of the road it is only right that you must help."

"That's not what I mean by must Mr. Delagore,"I replied,"That is simply morale not a must. The must I'm trying to convey is must we go by the majority as today's society works now. Past society was a free place, people could make their own decisions. There was no pyramid society."

"Ah but past society was more corrupt, people were flaunting around doing inhuman things. The overseers did good by controlling us and rallying us against the mutants."

"So the order of the overseers is better? The chaos in past society allowed creativity to grow, remarkable things were happening then it came to a stop and the overseers's plan what and how we do and progress in society."

"That's enough Miss Riccardi, your ideas are very radical and I wouldn't like to send you away for that, now anyone else? Ah yes Miss Talancy?"

I sat back in my seat deflated. Because my ideas were outside the box I would get punished for that. Society was so mindless now, they only listened to what the overseers told them and never questioned anything. It wasn't right.

English ended soon after and Mr. Delagore asked me to stay. I gathered my things and he closed the door and looked over to me.

"Miss Riccardi, I know you're a bright young lady and you have things going for you but maybe it's best you keep some ideas to yourself. After all your father is apart of the overseers and it's a must, a definite must, that we should allow them to help us along as a species."

"I understand," I nodded my head but disagreed with him completely.

"Okay now get on to your next class."