Chapter 11: Sisterly Love

Sisterly Love:

I walked into my bedroom and kicked off my heels. I pulled my dress over my head and threw it on the floor, too lazy to put it away. I levitated an old t-shirt and pajama shorts and put them on me. I then hopped into bed and cuddled myself into my sheets. Sleep blanketed me quickly.

"Steady Andor," my father cautioned him.

Andor settled his gun on his shoulder and held it at eye's view. Everything was silent except the small rustle of leaves in the wind among the dark, mutated forest.

"Keep a close eye on her, don't let her get away."

Andor squinted his eyes to steady his gaze on his prey in the dark, his shoulders became tense. His kill was a perfect target, a kill that would bring him up in the ranks. I was watching them and yearned to see who the target was.

It was long legged, pale, and shivering. The eyes were a piercing blue, it wasn't like the other creatures in the forest. It was a mutant, a Calidisi, me.

Bam. I twitched. The creature fell to the forest floor, her dark hair falling all around her as the sweet burgundy of her being drained out of her.

I woke up quickly and put a hand to my fast beating heart. I closed my eyes and pulled my legs up so I could lean my chin on my knees. Every year, every single year I had this dream on this night and it always frightened me. I looked up as I felt Xander's presence.

"The dream?" he whispered to me.

I nodded. He sat on the bed next to me and held me.

"It won't go away," I whispered to myself, "No matter what I do, no matter how hard I try to forget, it comes to haunt me," I hugged my knees closer to me.

Xander rubbed my arm, "It's just your fear Nai, don't let it get to you."

A tear fell down.

"It's not a premonition Nai," Xander countered my thoughts, "They won't kill you, no one will."

"It can happen, maybe they won't know it's me and then I'm gone when they pull the trigger. They won't realize until they collect my body," I shivered.

Xander grabbed both my forearms gently and faced me, "Nai, it will never happen. Understand? It's just a dream, a nightmare. Nothing more. Listen to me Nailah, I won't let anything hurt you, okay?"

I wrapped my arms around his torso and buried my head into his chest, "I love you Xander," I whispered then fell back into my sheets, covering myself. The worst had been over, my dark thoughts were brightened with the knowledge that I'm not alone.

I drifted into my slumber as Xander ran his fingers through my hair to comfort me.

"I love you too," I barely heard him say as I fell back into a deep slumber.

~~~

I motioned my alarm off as it began to ring.

I smiled to myself, happy it was the weekend. I knew Xander was gone, he knew better than to stay. I stashed my dream into the back of my mind hoping it would bury itself. I used my powers to open the curtains of my balcony and let the dawn sun shine through. This time of day was always the best.

 Suddenly my door slammed open and I jumped.

"Finally your up!" Evie exclaimed.

"Really Evie?!" I wrapped myself in my covers ignoring her grin, "Did you stay here last night?"

"Yeah, since dad and Andor are both gone I thought you might need some company."

"That's nice of you but it's fine, really."