Chapter 12: Losing Doubt

Losing Doubt:

I rushed to the door before Evie could get to it and took a deep breath then opened the door, "Hi Liam."

He put his hands in his pockets, "Hey Nailah."

I pushed back a strand of my hair behind my ear, "I uh...I'm."

"Hello Liam!" Evie startled me.

I cringed.

"Hi Evie," Liam gave her a handshake.

"This is my husband Damon, Damon this is Nailah's boyfriend, Liam."

They both shook hands.

"Yes well, we have to get going," I stepped outside the house and grabbed Liam's hand.

"Are you sure you don't want to..."

"No we're fine!," I interrupted," I mean I just want to get to the restaurant early so we don't have a long wait."

"Oh okay, that's fine. Have fun!" Evie smiled.

"Bye," I dragged Liam with me.

"It was nice meeting you," Liam waved back to them.

Liam opened the door of his truck for me and then went around the truck to get in. He started it and it was then I realized how antique his truck was.

"It's pretty fancy here, huh?" Liam commented as he took off.

"It's something," I looked out the window as I saw people stare at us and our truck in confusion and curiosity, "Don't pay attention to them."

Liam cleared his throat, "It's fine, I've experienced worse."

"Liam," I looked at him, "Really don't feel intimidated by everything here, I know it's...it's.."

"Rich, luxurious, fancy, extravagant?"

"Yes all those but it's just a house, it's just a lawn, and it's just a car in the end. None of it matters."

"I know, I understand," he grabbed my hand, "I just don't want people to look at you any different because you're seen in a clunker like this."

I laughed, "Liam it doesn't matter what they think of me, I never cared and I never will. I love your clunker."

He laughed, "She gets me around," he let go of my hand and rubbed the wheel.

"That's all that matters, isn't it?" I smiled.

"I guess so," he laughed to himself.

"What? What is it?"

"So you think I have deep, ocean, blue eyes huh?"

I blushed, "You eavesdropper!"

"Sorry, I just had to know who you were with before I contacted you. Then the conversation got interesting."

I rolled my eyes playfully, "I'm going to have to watch what I say now."

He laughed, "Don't, I try not to impose on anyone's privacy too much. I just want to know something."

"What?"

"Tell me more about what you think of my eyes."

I laughed, "You've heard too much already!"

"No I haven't heard enough!"

We laughed and finally exited the gates of my neighborhood.

I wondered what he really thought at this moment, how he felt being somewhere I never thought much to care of. He kept a block on me nevertheless, and I kept a block on him too scared of what he could hear in my mind.