17

We pulled up in front of a large country looking house covered by white brick with a wrap-around porch. I pulled off my helmet to get a better view of the house and instantly marveled over the front garden and neatness of the lawn. It looks like something you'd see on the cover of a Home & Garden magazine and you can tell the person that worked on it devoted much time and effort into it.

"My mother is obsessed with gardening." Dominic followed my line of sight as he pulled off his own helmet and dismounted the bike.

"It's beautiful," I whispered, loving the way the flowers were arranged. She has them growing in sections by color-forming rows of pink, purple, red then orange. It's truly an amazing sight and a shock that someone so mean could create something so mesmerizing.

"I'll be right back." He pulled away from me after a peck on the lips slipping out of my grip and sauntered up the stairs. The whole way here I begged him not to do this. He is dead set on giving her a piece of his mind for the way she spoke to me. I love the idea of him standing up for me, protecting me, but the last thing I want is to come between him and his parents.

The front door opened before he even had the chance to knock and the wicked witch herself appeared in the doorway. She smiled brightly, but looking over his shoulder she glared at me and all sign of happiness was then lost.

"What the hell is she doing here? I told you to come alone!"

"She's my mate—"

"Alice was your mate!" She fired back with clenched fists.

"I claimed her, Mom. My wolf wants Jade and so do I, therefore she is my mate and I don't appreciate you disrespecting her!"

"She's the reason why you could have almost been taken from us again! They could have banned you or worse, sentenced you to death! We lost you for five years, Dominic! Five years! Those were hard all on their own not knowing if you were alive or if you'd run off and took your own life somewhere that none of us would ever find you. You're my only son and I refuse to lose you because some little girl can't make up her mind about who she wants!"

That was the straw that broke the camel's back. I had to speak up now, if not for me then for my wolf who's currently snarling and seeing red. I get her concern. Still, she truly doesn't know me or anything other than what she heard at the Council. Taking a few steps up the walkway I stood my ground, keeping distance in case my wolf gets to the point that she overpowers me.

"That's where you're wrong, Mrs. Cruz. I know exactly who I want and it's your son. I never meant to cause him any trouble or to cause anyone problems. They just so happened to found us. I'm sorry they have and I'm sorry you don't care for me, but one thing I won't apologize for is loving your son and him loving me back."

Like I was nothing more than a speck in the wind, she turned away from me focusing on Dominic with very pleading eyes, "Please son, don't do this to yourself! At any time she could wake up and decide she wants her true mate and where does that leave you? Heartbroken again and I don't want that for you. I know a nice young lady that lost her mate during that same fight who'd be good for you. You claimed her," venom dripped from the word 'her' as she looked my way for a split second, "but you haven't mated and she hasn't claimed you so it's not too late. She'll forever hold your mark, but if you mate with someone else, she won't own your heart."

It's true. I hate to admit that, but it's true. Dominic and I are only attached by blood right now and it's not even a complete bond. To complete it I'd have to claim him back and we'd have to mate. If he were to mate with that mateless girl tomorrow, he'd not only have an attachment to me but a stronger one to the girl he mated especially if she bore him a pup. I don't know how but the connection between bodies is stronger than just claiming.