21

Dominic was not pleased with the idea of me having to meet with Cameron, of course, so he decided that he's going along with us after our first announcement as the first-ever Royal wolves. I wouldn't have it any other way so I—nor anyone else—protested or said anything to suggest that we thought it was a bad idea. Cameron is not going to take any of this well and having my mate there will make me feel a lot better. Dominic is on edge and more wolf than human as it seems, which may lead to a fight but still, I don't want to face my first mate without him by my side.

It was nearly three in the morning by the time we all settled in for some sleep. Everyone except for my brother left with promises to return first thing in the morning to cover a few last minute things before the meeting. I took a long, hot, much-needed shower and instead of climbing into a bed that is now being called mine, I tiptoed down the hall to the room we set Jaxon up in. There, I wasted no time curling up beside him. I used to do this as a kid. When I had a nightmare or a really bad day and couldn't sleep, my twin's presence made everything better.

He was snoring when I walked in, so I was completely surprised when his arm came down around me.

"Is the Queen having a hard time sleeping?" Gruffly he murmured rolling onto his back, pulling me into him.

"The Queen is having a hard time with all of this. It seems like just yesterday you were giving me a list of reasons why I'm special with the main one being that I have a sexy twin."

Jaxon laughed, "And now you're a rare wolf with a sexy twin. What a lucky girl you are." I slapped his chest producing more laughter that slowly died down into light chuckles. "But you see, I was right. You are special and now the rest of the world is going to see that."

"What if I fail? This is new to everyone and just like they're not sure how this is supposed to work, I'm not either. They'll be looking at me and Dominic for answers." That's the worse kind of pressure; knowing that the world is on your shoulders and your shoulders alone.

"But you have Dominic so you won't fail. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't like him and still feel like he hasn't convinced me just yet, but I see how much he's done to make you happy. That night you told me you tried to kill yourself really hurt me. I told myself then that I'd do everything in my power to protect you from that point forward. You don't need me to do that, because I'm positive you can kick my ass now. Still, I'm here, Jade. Whatever you need no matter what it is, I'll be behind you to make sure you don't fail."

Lifting my head off his chest I pecked his cheek then ruffled his already messy hair. "And that's why I have the best brother in the world."

"The best sexiest brother in the world."

I couldn't hold my laughter that time. "Yeah, Jax. Whatever you say. Alright, I'm going to go lay next to my mate before he goes on a rampage thinking I ran off to see Cam or some shit."

Jaxon caught my hand before I got off the bed sitting up with a very serious expression that I could see clearly through the darkness, illuminated by the light of the TV. "Promise me that after you separate your bond with him that you'll never go out anywhere alone. You becoming a strong wolf was one thing. But Royalty...Cameron is going to be livid that he missed this opportunity and I don't put him above hurting you for it."

I don't either actually. I can still see his eyes clearly when he tried to claim me in the bathroom and feel the cold tiles as he slammed me against the wall. The only difference this time is I'll have my father, brother, and mate there with me. I understand my brother's concern and agree with it wholeheartedly.

"I promise, Jackie." Leaning back onto the bed I hugged him tight then set out for my own, needing the strong arms of my mate and his scent to rid my mind of the new worries plaguing me.